Part 42

An hour has already passed since we got to the party and I huff out a breath in boredom. Eunji excused herself at some point to catch up with an old friend, leaving me alone. I wanted her to leave anyway because it was getting kind of awkward standing at the table with her without saying anything. But I also didn't know exactly what I should talk to her about. I didn't want to know about her past with Jungkook and I'm not really interested in her current life since I'll probably never see her again anyway.

I poke around in the little bowl in front of me, moving the snacks in it around. I've been doing this for the last twenty minutes because my social media isn't offering me any news to distract me right now. I've already looked through everything.

Jungkook hasn't come back and I don't know where he is right now. I saw him chatting with a few men until a few minutes ago, but after that, he disappeared into thin air. And I don't feel like looking around for him either, these heels are killing me anyway.

"I don't know what the peanuts did, but they sure pissed you off." a voice from behind me chuckles, making me turn around. I have to admit that my wandering state got a little startled.

"Oh." I stagger, seeing that I've thrown a few of the peanuts out of the bowl while I've been picking at them. Without consciousness, of course.

"The party is very boring, isn't it?" he raises his eyebrows as he stands across from me at the table and rests his arms on the surface.

"Well, considering I've been standing in the same spot for half an hour, I guess I have no choice but to tell the truth." I laugh weirdly. "It's kind of boring."

He laughs along, nodding his head. "Business events are never fun."

"I can imagine," I murmur, looking at the tall man in front of me. His eyes find mine and he extends a hand across the table, waiting for me to take it.

"I'm Kim Namjoon." he introduces himself, his large warm hand enveloping and gently shaking mine.

"I'm Elaine."

"A beautiful name." he smiles and I see his cheeks showing little dimples that make him seem very friendly. The glasses sitting on his nose are giving him a smart look and I can only assume he is a successful businessman. The black suit hugs his broad form, finished with a bow tie tied around his neck. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he says.

"The pleasure is all mine." I smile back, not really knowing how to act.

I'm not quite sure what brings him to my table, but I can't complain because at least I don't have to stand there as awkward as a statue, watching the people around me. He looks quite nice, and maybe he's looking for someone at this party to pass the time. He seems older than me, though, and maybe even a few years older than Jungkook.

"What's a beautiful woman like you doing here?" he asks, intently watching all my movements. "I'm sure you're not looking for investments."

I laugh as I scratch the back of my head. "Oh, no. I'm actually here for my boyfriend."

"Ah, I should have known a woman like you couldn't be on her own," he says, a disappointed look written in his expressions as he presses his lips into a straight line and tilts his head to the right for a brief second before straightening it. "Here goes my chance to make a smooth move."

I laugh uncomfortably, not knowing what to say in response to his flirtatious comment. He looks at me intently and I have to admit it makes me a little nervous as his eyebrow still quirks up. I clear my throat and just at that moment I feel a hand creep around my waist.