"Here, Cassie." The King gave the book to his daughter, who nodded thanks.

"How about one more chapter, and then a dinner break?" Will suggested, glancing out the window. The others nodded agreement.

THE SKY WAS HEAVY WITH SULLEN RAIN CLOUDS. SOMEWHERE the sun may have been rising, but here there was no sign of it, just a dull gray light that filtered through the overcast and gradually, reluctantly, filled the sky.

"Well, that's a depressing start to the chapter," Gilan said cheerfully.

As the little party crested the last ridge, leaving the massive shape of Castle Redmont behind them, the new day finally gave in to the clouds and it began to rain—a cold spring rain. It was light and misting, but persistent. At first, it ran off the riders' treated woolen cloaks. But, eventually, it began to soak into the fibers. After twenty minutes or so, all three were hunched in their saddles, trying to retain as much body warmth as they could.

Gilan turned to his two companions as they plodded along, eyes down, hunched over their horses' necks. He smiled to himself, then addressed Horace, who was keeping a position slightly to the rear, alongside the pack pony Gilan was leading.

Halt raised an eyebrow. "Did you think they would exclude you or something?"

"Well then, Horace," he said, "are we giving you enough adventure for the moment?"

Horace wiped the misting rain from his face, and grimaced ruefully.

"Less than I'd expected, sir," he replied. "But it's still better than close- order drill."

Halt's eyebrow rose further. "Sir? Lord, Horace."

Horace shrugged. "Trust me, I won't be calling you sir anymore."

Gilan nodded and grinned at him.

"I imagine it is at that," he said. Then he added kindly: "There's no need to ride back there, you know. We Rangers don't stand on ceremony too much. Come and join us."

"Do we ever stand on ceremony?" Gilan mused.

He nudged Blaze with his knee and the bay mare stepped out to open a gap for him. Horace eagerly urged his horse forward, to ride level with the two Rangers.

"Thank you, sir," he said gratefully. Gilan cocked an eyebrow at Will.

"Polite, isn't he?" he mused. "Obviously manners are well taught in the Battleschool these days. Nice to be called 'sir' all the time."

Halt snorted. "The day you deserve the title sir is the day you learn to fly."

Will grinned at the kindly meant jibe. Then the smile faded from his face as Gilan continued thoughtfully. Will chuckled, while Gilan covered his mouth to hide a laugh.

"Not a bad idea to have a bit of respect shown. Perhaps you could call me 'sir' as well," he said, turning his face away to study the tree line to one side so that Will couldn't see the faint trace of a grin that insisted on breaking through.

"Thanks, Gil," Will muttered. The tall Ranger grinned.

"You're welcome."

Aghast, Will choked over his answer. He couldn't believe his ears. Halt let loose a bark of laughter.

"Sir?" he said finally. "You really want me to call you 'sir,' Gilan?" Then, as Gilan frowned slightly at him, he amended hurriedly and in great confusion: "I mean, sir! You want me to call you 'sir'...sir?"