14

"I'll read it next, Halt." The book was passed along to Duncan, who cleared his throat before beginning to read.

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, OF COURSE, THEY WERE FACED with the problem of what to do with Bart and Carney. The two bandits had spent a supremely uncomfortable night, tied back to back and so forced to sit upright on the stony ground. Several times during the night, Gilan had loosened their bonds for a few minutes to give their cramped muscles a brief respite. He even eventually relented and allowed them a small amount of the party's food and water. Halt raised an eyebrow. But it was still a very unpleasant experience for them, made even more so because they had no idea what he planned to do with them in the morning.

Gilan snorted. "Neither did I," he said.

And, truth be told, neither did Gilan. He had no wish to take them along as prisoners. As it was, they had only four horses, counting the pack horse that had been carrying their camping supplies and would now have to carry Evanlyn as well. He felt that the news of Morgarath's puzzling foray into Celtica should be taken back to King Duncan as soon as possible, and dragging two prisoners along on foot would slow them down immeasurably. In addition, he was already considering the idea that he might push on ahead at top speed, allowing the other three to follow at their own pace. Gilan facepalmed. You idiot, he thought. He knew the clumsy pack pony would never keep up with Blaze's mile-eating lope.

So, faced with these two problems, he frowned to himself as he ate breakfast, allowing himself the luxury of a second cup of coffee from their dwindling supply. Gilan snorted. "Two wasn't even enough." After all, he thought, if he did go on ahead, it was the last coffee he'd see for some days. After a while he glanced up, caught Will's eye and beckoned him over. Gilan ducked his head, staring very hard at the cracks on the ground.

"I'm thinking of pushing on ahead," he said quietly. Instantly he saw the look of alarm in Will's eyes. Gilan sighed.

"You mean alone?" Will asked, and Gilan nodded.

"See? Questions." Halt waved his hand in dismissal in an attempt to relieve the tension. To his relief, Gilan allowed a weak smile on his face.

"This is vital news, Will, and I need to get it to King Duncan as soon as possible. Aside from anything else, it means that there'll be no reinforcements coming from Celtica. He needs to know that."

"But..." Will hesitated. He looked around the little campsite as if searching for some argument against Gilan's idea. The tall Ranger was a comforting presence. Like Halt, he always seemed to know the right thing to do. Now, the thought that he was planning to leave them created a sense of near-panic in Will's mind. Gilan recognized the self-doubt that was racking the boy. He stood and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Halt had a smile at the exchange. He'd been afraid that his two former apprentices wouldn't like each other; his fear had been the farthest from the truth, it turned out.

"Let's walk a little," he said, and they began to pace away from the campsite. Blaze and Tug glanced up curiously as they passed, then, realizing they weren't required, went back to cropping the sparse vegetation. Halt and Crowley exchanged a glance.

"I know you're worried about what happened with those four Wargals," Gilan said. Will stopped walking and looked up at him.

Will shook his head, his cheeks heating a little. "There's nothing to be ashamed of," Halt told him. Will shrugged.

"Halt told you?" he said. There was a note of doubt in his voice. He wondered what Halt had said about his behavior. Gilan nodded gravely.

"I said you were a lazy and slow apprentice," Halt said with a straight face. Will rolled his eyes.