"Your turn, Horace." The knight took the offered book, scanning the first few words before beginning to read.

BARON ARALD SHOVED THE HEAVY PARCHMENT SCROLL TO one side and looked up at Lady Pauline in exasperation.

"Pauline, do you understand what this idiot is getting at?" he asked. The head of Castle Redmont's Diplomatic Corps nodded.

Will raised an eyebrow. "Who's this idiot we're speaking about?"

"Do you want me to be honest?" Halt asked. Will laughed.

"In principle, I do, my lord," she said. Arald made a frustrated gesture.

"Then in principle, please explain it to me," he said, adding in an undertone, "as if I don't have enough on my plate planning for war without this sort of nonsense." Will eyed Halt, who only shrugged.

Lady Pauline suppressed a smile. Arald had a well-known dislike of legal documents with their whereifs, wheretofores and notwithstandings.

Arald nodded heartfelt agreement. "A lord of nonsense, they are. Unnecessary and confusing."

"Paperwork does tend to be that way," Crowley added morosely.

"Sir Montague of Cobram Keep is obliged to supply a draft of four knights and thirty men-at-arms when called upon," she began.

Alyss allowed a small smile as she glanced over at Halt. The older Ranger's face remained totally innocent.

Will studied them both. "What did Halt do?" he asked a moment later.

Halt shrugged. "Me? I would never do anything out of line."

Crowley snorted. "Whatever you say, Halt."

"And I take it he is refusing to do so?" said the Baron wearily.

"Not exactly, sir," she replied. "He is willing to supply the men. He is unwilling to place them, or himself, under your command." Duncan frowned.

Arald frowned. There was no trace of his customary good humor evident at that statement.

"But he is under my command," he said. "Cobram Keep is within the boundaries of Redmont Fief and I am his lord. And commander."

Pauline nodded agreement. "Correct, my lord. But he does have a case. A very tenuous one, I must say, but a case nonetheless."

"It certainly was tenuous," Halt said gravely. Will glanced at Alyss, who only gave him a little shrug.

Arald's face, already flushed with annoyance, became a little redder. "How can he have a case?" he demanded. "His castle is within my boundaries. I am the lord of Redmont Fief. He is my tenant. I am his commander. End of story. Ipso facto. Case-o closed-o."

"You do have a way with words, sir," Crowley mused. Arald grinned.

"Why, thank you."

"At least it's not as ridiculous as your lady-o song," Halt put in. Crowley sighed.

"As he sees it, my lord, the whole thing hinges on a treaty signed by his great-great-granduncle and the present king's great-great-grandfather, when Cobram Keep became part of the Kingdom of Araluen—and the Fief of Redmont. At that time, Cobram Keep was allowed to retain a certain level of independence."

"That's ridiculous! You can't run a kingdom like that! What was Duncan's great-great-whatever-he-was thinking?"

Duncan chuckled and shook his head. "I'm not sure what he was thinking, if I'm being honest."