17

"Here, Jen." Gilan handed the book to his girlfriend, his hand trembling slightly. She took it, squeezing his hand affectionately before beginning to read.

"FOLLOW THEM? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?"

"It's quite possible, yes," Will said.

HORACE stared at the small, determined figure, unable to believe what he was hearing. Will didn't say anything, so Horace tried again.

Halt snorted. "Did you really think you could get him to change his mind?"

Horace sighed. "I hoped."

"Will, we've just spent half an hour hiding behind a bush hoping those things wouldn't see us. Now you want to follow them and give them another chance?" Gilan clenched his jaw, staring hard at the ground.

Will glanced around to make sure that Evanlyn was still out of earshot. He didn't want to alarm the girl unnecessarily.

Cassandra snorted. "Nice one." Will chuckled, ducking his head.

"Keep your voice down," he warned Horace, and his friend spoke more softly, but nonetheless vehemently. Will smirked.

"Why?" he asked. "What can we possibly gain by following them?"

"Quite a bit, actually," Horace answered himself.

Will shifted uneasily from one foot to the other. Frankly, the idea of following the Wargals was already frightening him. He could feel his pulse rate was running higher than normal. They were terrifying creatures, and obviously totally devoid of any feelings of mercy or pity, as the fate of the prisoner had shown. Still, he could see that this was an opportunity that shouldn't be wasted.

Halt pursed his lips; he almost wish Will had wasted that opportunity.

"Look," he said quietly. "Halt always told me that knowing why your enemy is doing something is just as important as knowing what he's doing. Sometimes more important, in fact."

"Done quoting me?" Halt asked mildly. Will grinned.

"Of course not."

Horace shook his head stubbornly. "I don't get it," he said. To him this idea of Will's was a crazy, irresponsible and terrifyingly dangerous impulse. "I mean, he's not wrong..." Will hedged. To be truthful, Will wasn't absolutely sure that he was right either. But Gilan's parting words about not showing uncertainty rang in his ears—Gilan facepalmed—and his instincts, honed by Halt's training—Halt shifted uncomfortably in his seat—told him this was an opportunity he shouldn't miss.

"We know that the Wargals are capturing Celtic miners and carrying them off," he said. "And we know Morgarath doesn't do anything without a reason. This might be a chance to find out what he's up to."

Horace shrugged. "He wants slaves," he said, and Will shook his head quickly.

Will snickered. "Well, we gathered that. There had to be a reason for him wanting slaves."

Halt snorted. "There's plenty of reasons. He's an insufferable, vile, disgusting manipulator." Will raised an eyebrow.

"As much as I agree with you, Halt, Morgarath did have a cunning mind," Duncan said. Halt grunted in reply.

"But why? And why only miners? Evanlyn said they were only interested in the miners. Why? Can't you see?" he appealed to the bigger boy. "This could be important. Halt says that wars often turn on the smallest piece of information."

"Second time in one chapter." Will grinned.

"I would say you give good advice, but I wouldn't want to boost your ego."