"Here, Gilan." The tall Ranger took the book, clearing his throat before beginning to read.

"SO TELL ME ABOUT THIS NEIL PERSON," SAID WILL, AS THE three of them settled comfortably by the fire, steaming mugs of herb tea warming their cupped hands.

Crowley snorted. "Who's this MacNeil character?" he teased, looking at Halt. The other Ranger shrugged.

"He's a person, character, same thing."

"MacNeil," Horace corrected him. "He's a legend."

"Legends are usually fake," Halt pointed out.

"Oh, he's real enough," said Gilan. "I should know. I practiced under him for five years. I started when I was eleven, then, at fourteen, I was apprenticed to Halt. But he always gave me leave of absence to continue my work with the Swordmaster."

"But why did you continue to learn the sword after you started training as a Ranger?" Horace asked.

Rodney snorted. "Waste of talent to drop the sword."

Gilan shrugged. "Maybe people thought it was a shame to waste all that early training. I certainly wanted to continue, and my father is Sir David of Caraway Fief, so I suppose I was given some leeway in the matter."

Horace sat up a little straighter at the mention of the name. Gilan smiled.

"Battlemaster David?" he said, obviously more than a little impressed. "The new supreme commander?"

Gilan nodded, smiling at the boy's enthusiasm. "The same," he agreed. Then, seeing that Will was still in the dark, he explained further: "My father has been appointed supreme commander of the King's armies, since Lord Northolt was murdered. He commanded the cavalry at the Battle of Hackham Heath."

Duncan sighed. "If only Lord Northolt hadn't been killed, however. Both him and your father could have helped to make this better."

Will's eyes widened. "When Morgarath was defeated and driven into the mountains?" Will snorted.

Both Horace and Gilan nodded. Horace continued the explanation enthusiastically.

"Sir Rodney says his coordination of the cavalry with flanking archers in the final stage of the battle is a classic of its kind. He still teaches it as an example of perfect tactics. No wonder your father was chosen to replace Lord Northolt." Rodney raised an eyebrow, while Horace chuckled.

Will realized that the conversation had moved away from its original gambit.

"Like it does with all of your conversations?" Halt asked. Will rolled his eyes.

"So what did your father have to do with this MacNeil character?" he asked, returning to the subject.

"Again with the character," Crowley snickered. "You certainly are Halt's apprentice."

The words your father's son had been on the top of his tongue, but unsure of the two Ranger's reactions, he switched the phrase.

"Well," said Gilan, "my father was a former pupil as well. It was only natural that MacNeil should gravitate to his Battleschool, wasn't it?"

"I suppose so," Will agreed.

"You suppose so?" Halt asked.

"And it was only natural that I should come under his tutelage as soon as I could swing a sword. After all, I was the Battlemaster's son."