28

"Gilan..." Cassandra gave him a concerned look. "Are you up to reading this next chapter?"

Gilan hesitated, and then gave her a strained smile, though she had to admit it looked more like a grimace. "Sure," he said, and the book was passed along to him.

BATTLEMASTER DAVID CHEWED THE ENDS OF HIS MUSTACHE as he frowned at the plan outlined on the sand table. "I don't know, Halt," he said doubtfully. "It's very risky. One of the first principles of warfare is never to split your forces."

Halt snorted. "Back here again, are we?"

Halt nodded. He knew the knight's criticism was intended to be constructive, not simply negative thinking. It was Sir David's role to find any faults in the plan and weigh them against its possible advantages.

"That's true," the Ranger replied. "But it's also true that surprise is a powerful weapon."

Baron Tyler walked around the table, considering the plan from another viewpoint. He pointed with his dagger at the mass of green that represented the Thorntree Forest.

"You're sure you and Gilan can guide a large cavalry force through the Thorntree? I thought nobody could get through there," he asked dubiously, and Halt nodded.

Duncan raised an eyebrow. "Now that sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder where I've heard that before?"

Gilan shrugged, assuming a look of innocence. "I've no idea." Halt's face remained deadpan.

"The Rangers have charted and surveyed every inch of the kingdom for years, my lord," he told the Baron. "Especially the parts people think there's no way through. We can surprise this northern force. Then Morgarath will be caught out as well, when no Skandians turn up behind us."

Tyler continued to pace around the table, staring intently at the designs drawn there and the markers set in place in the sand map.

"All the same," he said, "we'll be in a pretty scrape if the Skandians defeat Halt and the cavalry over here in the north. After all, you'll be outnumbered almost two to one."

Everyone raised an eyebrow in surprise. Even for a Baron, it was never a wise idea to question Halt's plans. Particularly when they almost always went according to to plan.

Halt nodded agreement again. "That's true. But we'll catch them in open country, so we'll have the advantage. And don't forget we'll be taking two hundred archer units as well. They should even the numbers a little."

An archer unit consisted of two men: one archer and one accompanying spearman, mutually supporting each other. Against lightly armored infantry, they were a deadly combination, able to cut down large numbers at a distance, then retreat before their enemy could come to grips with them.

Halt raised an eyebrow. "I never would have guessed."

"Not everyone who reads this would know that," Pauline said gently. Will sat up straighter, frowning.

"You...you think other people have read this?" Will asked, almost a little fearfully. He glanced over at the set of books lying on the King's death and felt a sudden stab of unease.

Pauline noted his obvious concern, but decided not to comment on it. "Perhaps. Or these could be new," she added, "and no one's yet to see them." The younger Ranger relaxed slightly, sparing one final glance at the books before looking away.

"But," insisted Baron Tyler, "let's assume that the Skandians do manage to win through. Then the tables will be turned. We'll be fighting a real enemy in the northwest, with our rear exposed to Morgarath's Wargals coming out of the pass." Arald and Halt both sighed.