Yes, Dad

"Morrigan Crow!"

Jupiter's voice boomed through the halls of the Deucalion. Morrigan could hear him from her spot in her bedroom and a sudden wave of anxiety flooded over her at the use of her full name.

She counted down the seconds before Jupiter barged into her room. Not long now. Maybe about five seconds. Or three. Two...one...

The door slammed open making the whole room feel like it was vibrating. Morrigan flinched. She knew Jupiter was going to be mad but she didn't know he was going to be this mad. He looked outraged. His face was bright red, his eyebrows furrowed together in anger. His gaze was restless, landing on multiple objects before resting on Morrigan in her octopus chair. She placed her book down and looked at Jupiter, waiting for him to say something. The wait wasn't long enough, in Morrigan's opinion.

"How dare you? How dare you leave school again, on your own?"

"Jupiter, I just needed to get out—"

"I don't care what you needed. You could have contacted me and you know I would have gone and gotten you. I've taken you out of school before, I'll do it again."

"I'm sorry, Jupiter. I didn't think," mumbled Morrigan. She hung her head low. She couldn't bare to look in the eyes of her patron. If she did, she would feel even more guilty.

"No, Morrigan, you didn't. You never do. You always act impulsively without taking a second to think about what you are going to do!" The sentence felt like a hard blow to her stomach. She winced at the pain. "You are thirteen years old. Nevermoor is not a safe place for a little girl like you."

This made Morrigan look up.

"I'm sorry, Jupiter but I am not a little girl anymore. I'm not the scared child I was when you first met me. I am now a teenage girl developing into a woman! I can handle myself. And besides, all my friends' parents let them go out on their own."

"Well, I'm not your friends' parents, am I? I am yours, Morrigan." Jupiter sighed. "I'm new to this, okay? I'm not going to be the perfect parent. I'm going to shelter you. I'm scared. I don't want you getting hurt. I can't have you get taken away, Mog."

Morrigan felt bad for the ginger haired man. He really did look upset. "Well, I know for sure you're better than Corvus and Ivy. Jupiter, it's okay. You're going to get better, you just need to learn how to deal with these kinds of situations."

Jupiter nodded, putting his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, I can deal with this. Alright. So you're in trouble, and I'm the parent, so that means I have to punish you. Okay. I can do this. You can't have ice cream after dinner tonight."

"Come on, Jupiter. It has to be worse than that."

"Alright, how about no ice cream for a week?" Jupiter's eyes lit up as another idea hit him. "And if you do it again, you can't have any friends over for a month!"

Morrigan smiled. "That's better."

Jupiter plastered a smug smirk across his face. He seemed quite pleased with himself.

"Look, I really am sorry. It won't happen again," promised Morrigan.

"I don't doubt that. Just please start listening to what I say, and think before you act."

"Yes, Dad." Morrigan rolled her eyes sarcastically, but the word felt good as it passed her lips.

"Good girl. Now do you want to go to the park or something?"

"Jupiter, incase you've forgotten, I'm in trouble. I should just stay here."

"Oh. Right. Okay." Jupiter walked over to the doorway. "I don't like you being in trouble. I can't hang out with you and have fun." His face turned serious. Or what he thought was serious. "Now, stay in here and think about what you've done!" He walked out of the room with his nose high in the air.

Morrigan chuckled and shook her head at Jupiter's parenting. It wasn't perfect, but the truth was, Morrigan didn't know what perfect parenting was. It seemed that the two had something they would have to learn together.

703 words