Flames

The crackle of fire. Villainous laughter. Screams of agony. That's all Morrigan could hear as she watched her home burn down to the ground. She turned around to Squall, not bothering to hide the tears streaming down her face.

"Stop it, please! Please! I'm begging you!" Her throat started to hurt from her screaming. In front of her eyes she saw everything that her patron had worked for disappearing. She was heartbroken for him. She was also watching her family's lives being taken away. She couldn't stand to watch and turned her back to the horrid sight.

"No, I don't think I will."

Morrigan shook her head. "Why? What possessed you to be this cruel? They haven't laid a finger on you!"

"Oh, but they laid multiple on you. You could have been my greatest creation, Little Crowling, but instead, you chose to go with them." He pointed a menacing finger towards the Deucalion. His voice was dripping with the heaviness of evil.

"Please, just let them go!"

"I'm afraid they're already gone."

Morrigan watched as all the flames disappeared from the burning hotel, leaving the debris and ashes on the ground. She fell to floor screaming and crying, wishing she was in the arms of her patron.

{~~~}

She woke up screaming, sweat dripping down her forehead. Morrigan hastily pulled the covers off herself before walking into her bathroom. She looked into the mirror and slowly took deep breaths. Her heart was racing. She felt like it might pop straight out of her chest.

Morrigan turned the tap on, cupping her hands and filling them with water. She splashed the water onto her face, trying to get rid of the memories of the horrible nightmare.

After drying her face, she walked back over to her bed. She tried to fall asleep again but when she closed her eyes, all she could see were orange flames. Morrigan decided to venture out of her bedroom to try to clear her head.

The Hotel at night was completely different to the Hotel during the day. The contrast was almost comedic. During the day, a quiet space could never found. At night, the silence was deafening. The halls were dark, and Morrigan ran into multiple walls.

She had found herself on the floor where Jupiter's study was located and was surprised to find that through the crack between the door and the floor, the light was spilling out into the hallway. She thought about it before knocking on the door and stepping inside.

"Hey, Mog! What's going on? Why aren't you asleep?"

Morrigan was still shaken up from her nightmare, and was surprised to find tears spilling from her eyes at the sight of her patron.

Jupiter jumped up from his chair and walked over to her in only a couple large steps. He instantly scooped her up in a hug, stroking her hair to help calm her down.

"Shh, it's okay, Mog. Just breathe. It's alright. I'm here."

He walked her over to the couch, where he laid her down. He placed a pillow under her head and pulled a blanket over her body. He stroked the side of her face until she had regained her composure. He wiped her tears away and when Morrigan looked up, she saw concern was etched into his face.

"What's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?"

Morrigan nodded, hiding her face in the pillow.

"Oh, sweetheart," whispered Jupiter. "What happened?"

"Squall."

Jupiter chuckled. "Care to elaborate?"

"He was burning down the Deucalion. And everyone was inside. It was horrible to watch, Jupiter. I hated it so much."

Jupiter smiled an apologetic smile. He then walked to the fireplace, putting out the burning flames. Morrigan smiled at his thoughtfulness.

"I'm assuming you couldn't get back to sleep?"

Morrigan shook her head. "No, so I went for a walk. I ended up here, and well, since the lights were on, I decided to come in. I hope I didn't disturb anything."

"No! Don't be ridiculous! You're my number one priority. I would drop whatever I'm doing, no matter what time it is, just to make sure you are okay."

Morrigan smiled before yawning.

"Alright, how about you sleep in here tonight? How's that sound?"

"Mhm." Morrigan was rapidly falling asleep, her eyes becoming heavy and her body becoming limp. She felt Jupiter press a kiss to her forehead and the last thing she heard was a soft "I love you, Mog."

{~~~}

Morrigan woke up the next morning with a strong pain in her neck. She cursed her room for making her sleep in such an uncomfortable bed.

When she opened her eyes, she found she wasn't in her room at all, but instead on top of the couch in Jupiter's study. Memories of the night before came flooding into her mind.

As she looked around the room for the ginger haired man, she found him asleep, sprawled out on the floor. She stood up from the couch and grabbed her blanket. She placed it over Jupiter's body before kissing his head, just like he did to her last night.

"I love you, Jupiter."

Morrigan quietly snuck out of the room and began making her way to the kitchens for some breakfast.

872 words