Chapter 4: Talon Stryker

When Kane said that they would be leaving in the morning, Clyde had no idea he meant twilight. His eyes would not open as he ripped himself apart from his bed and opened the door. Standing next to Kane was none other than Lakia. She showered him with icy water from under her cloak before he finally opened his eyes.

   After plenty of screaming on his part, Clyde finally gathered his things (which he had completely forgotten to do the day before) and walked out of his rugged apartment. Much to Clyde’s distaste, Lakia remained at his side as they travelled all the way to the palace just in case Clyde managed to doze off while walking.

   The morning air was so chilly that even Kane was shivering. Since it was so early, the rest of the island was practically asleep so the waves could be heard from the distance. A few seagulls screamed out to one another as loud as alarm clocks. It was impossible for Clyde to fall back asleep now even if he wanted to.

   Unlike Clyde, Anya was probably a light sleeper; she was already waiting by the gate of the palace when they arrived. In fact, she was wide awake and had a small bag hanging over her shoulder.

   But she wasn’t alone.

   “Why’s he here?” Clyde exclaimed, pointing at Seyth Stryker.

   The boy was leaning against the palace with his eyes closed. At his feet was a small bag.

   “What’s it look like?” Kane mumbled. “He’s coming with us.”

   Clyde snapped at once.

   “WHAT?”

   Anya snatched up Clyde’s ear and twisted it as hard as she could. Clyde roared in agony.

   “Shut up and deal with it,” she demanded. “And show some respect!”

   She released Clyde’s ear and he could feel it swell twice its normal size.

   “Zane requested it,” Kane continued, ignoring Clyde’s small yelps of pain. “It’s supposed to be a good experience for him.”

   All the while, Seyth said nothing. In fact, it looked like he hadn’t heard a word as he continued in the same posture.

   Clyde snarled, wishing the throbbing in his ear would stop and that Seyth could simply vanish on the spot.

   Like his sisters, he had dark, red hair – almost maroon. His lazy, blue eyes (which they could not see at the moment) seemed not to have a care in the world. And as much as Clyde hated to admit, Seyth was the only one who had passed the taming exam.

   Speaking of which…

   “So where’s your Kin at anyway?” Clyde growled mockingly. “Not getting along?”

   At last, Seyth opened his eyes and smiled.

   “Better than you and Varensis.”

   Clyde mumbled about, trying to find something else to say, but he was quickly cut short of the attempt because Anya suddenly covered her mouth and exclaimed, “Burn!”

   After that, Clyde refused to utter another word until they reached their destination. With nothing else to say, the four of them began to head out. Clyde followed them from behind.          

   Several silent minutes into the walk, they neared the shore. Clyde hadn’t been to this part of the island since he first got here almost four months ago. Despite living on an island, Clyde had not once ventured near any of the shores. While he was in Tamer school, he had been buried under a mountain of homework – partly because he started the course late. It was only recently did Clyde realize how much free time he had on his hands these days, wasting away in his apartment.