Chapter 15: Father and Son

The rain finally cleared out a few days later. Clyde had been lucky enough not to get possessed in those few days and he found his fear of Positra slowly decline. The sun was shining with its former radiance and Clyde was finally able to go to school without fear of getting wet.

   He and Felix marched to school, both of them excited for what Kane was going to do for Clyde’s first real training lesson.

   “Why’re you so excited?” Clyde asked.

   “Because I can see how ahead of you I am,” Felix replied curtly.

   In history, Clyde was actually focused on the lesson. Even Jassy was amazed. (She seemed to have completely forgotten about falling asleep on Clyde.) After Felix explained to her that today was Clyde’s first day training with Oskelo, she too became interested and vowed to go watch him.

   “If only I could find Gill to let Kassy and Anya know, too…”

   “Wait, you mean you still haven’t found him?” Clyde asked.

   “Don’t worry,” Felix added. “I can guarantee you that they already know. Word of mouth gets around…well, quickly these days.”

   The school day ended and just as Jassy promised, she met the boys at the front gate where Kane was already waiting. Much to their surprise, Anya and Kassy were already there with him.

   “Told you,” Felix said lazily.

   As they approached Kane, Clyde noticed someone dangling from a tree right beside Kane.

   “Need a hand?” Clyde called out to Atticus irritably.

   Everyone spun and gaped at the sight of Atticus, mere seconds from a fifteen foot drop.

   “No, I’m fine,” he replied, struggling to climb back up.

   A red cloaked Kin suddenly appeared and helped Atticus to the ground.

   “You mind telling us exactly why you were up there in the first place?” Kane barked.

   “Checking the view,” said Atticus, as if it was obvious. “And may I ask why Felix is approaching you of all people?”

   “Beats me,” Kane growled. “Maybe instead of spying on everyone, you could train your kid or something.”

   “I was just about to do that.”

   Kane and Atticus glared at each other for a while before Kane took off.

   “C’mon, Clyde,” he said, walking away. “Just Clyde. And Anya.”

   “But –!”

   Atticus narrowed his eyes.

   “Come on, Felix,” he said. “Just Felix.”

   Clyde rubbed his neck and smiled uncertainly as Kassy and Jassy were left completely clueless. Anya shrugged apologetically to them and caught up with Clyde and Kane. Atticus and Felix went one direction and Kane led his group to another.

   After walking for several minutes, Anya finally spoke.

   “Can’t you two just get along? I mean even Felix isn’t as much of a jerk to me as he used to be.”

   “No.”

   Anya rolled her eyes but said nothing. It was a quiet walk the whole way to Clyde’s apartment where they found Oskelo sitting on the roof.