Chapter 8: Felix Hunter

It took two more days for Kane and Antharon to finally come to an agreement. This time, Clyde was glad he hadn’t been around to witness the discussion. Instead, during the two days he had, Clyde ventured about the island, amazed at its structure overall. While it was much colder here than it was at Endnark, he couldn’t help but to feel quite at home.

   If he was going to have to live here eventually, perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad after all. Still, he couldn’t forget the friends he would be leaving behind. He did his best not to ponder over such thoughts for the time being. Besides, if everything went according to plan, Clyde would remain in Endnark for a while longer before coming back here.

   By the end of the second day, the lights seemed to grow on Clyde. While not as spectacular as how they looked when he first arrived here, there was just some sort of feeling all the lights seemed to emit.

   Anya didn’t mention anything about her strange behavior since. Even Seyth seemed to have let it go. On the first day, the three of them went around the island. It was a miracle that neither Clyde nor Seyth said anything to each other at all that day. Usually, whenever Seyth spoke, it was to either tell others that he was better than them at everything or to show off his knowledge about the Kin. Clyde hated both scenarios.

   On day two, Seyth kept to himself entirely, leaving Clyde and Anya to have the entire day to explore the island.

   They hadn’t been able to go very far because of the harsh winds. Unfortunately for Clyde and Anya, they were used to the pleasantness of Endnark and had only packed themselves light clothing. Everyone else walked around in jackets and scarves.

   Before they retreated to the palace, they stood before the statue of the bird.

   “What do you think it is?” Anya asked, tightly crossing her arms against the cold.

   “Maybe a symbol?” Clyde suggested. “Who cares anyway? It’s just a bird…”

   But Anya would not take her eyes off of it.

   “Kind of an odd looking bird, don’t you think?”

   Clyde sighed, not really giving the statue much thought. Still, he gazed at it at noted that it had four wings, deep, angry eyes, feathers that were pointed, and even something that looked like a mirror pinned to its chest.

   “If you had seen the fight in the ocean, you wouldn’t care much about this bird,” Clyde pointed out. “It’s probably a Kin without its cloak or something.”

   “Really?” Anya said excitedly. “Wow, and they all supposedly look different, right?”

   Clyde nodded with his teeth chattering a bit.

   “Have you been practicing your taming stuff?” Anya suddenly snapped, turning to face him.

   “Not really,” he replied with a shrug. “I mean, I already know what I was doing wrong –”

   “Idiot!” Anya exclaimed, stamping her foot. “Have you not been paying attention to what Kane’s been telling you all this time?”

   “Uh, well –”

   The honest answer was no. Dare he admit this to her?

   “You’re gonna be tested with the same Kin,” she ignited. “Don’t think that whatever tactic you used last time is gonna work again.”

   “You couldn’t even see what was going on!” Clyde exclaimed.

   “And I still know more about your exam than you do!” she spat back.