Chapter 14: The Apparition Effect

Even though Kane had told Clyde that they had a lot to discuss, that time didn’t come for another week or so. During that time, Clyde had his cast removed and everyone threw him a little party in his humble apartment. Even Seyth (though reluctantly) showed up.

   The girls pestered Clyde, asking him if they could formally meet Oskelo. In truth, Clyde and Oskelo did not speak to each other in that week that past. Shortly after leaving the palace, Oskelo kept annoyingly close to Clyde until Clyde ordered Oskelo to back off for a while.

   It was lucky Kane reminded Clyde to give Oskelo exact instructions.

   “Otherwise, a 'while' to you is an eternity for him,” Kane explained. “Just give him a week. We’ll talk more then, once you’re all healed up.”

   At the moment, six of them were chatting in Clyde's apartment, munching away on as much junk food as they could possibly find.

   “Well, you’re lucky,” said Jassy excitedly, her mouth full of chocolate. “The next Taming Exam is coming up!”

   “Why do you sound so excited about it?” Kassy groaned.

   “I’m not!” she giggled.

   Kassy palmed her face. “I always tell myself not to give her too much sugar…”

   Felix, who opted to only have a stick of chewing gum, stood beside Clyde.

   “Remember, having a Kin is tough business,” he said seriously. “It’s almost like being married.”

   “Ew, no,” replied Clyde uncertainly. “Terrible analogy.”

   “Ask Seyth,” said Felix. “He’ll know, right?”

   Seyth hadn’t touched any of the food. He simply sat on the ground against the door while his eyes lingered to the window. Clyde could tell easily that Jassy had probably dragged him here.

   Everyone looked at him expectantly, but when he said nothing, Felix turned back to Clyde.

   “Well, looks like he’s grumpy,” he said, unintentionally loud enough for everyone to hear. “When do you start your first training session?”

   “Tomorrow,” Clyde replied firmly. “For once, I think I might actually learn something.”

   Felix seated himself on the floor beside Clyde’s bed.

   “You know, if you ever need pointers, you can always come to me.”

   “I’m sure he will,” said Anya, pulling the three liter bag of chocolate away from Jassy. “I mean don’t you already know a bunch of stuff?”

   “Well…actually…no.”

   “Figures,” Clyde said, rolling his eyes. “They make it sound like once you’re a Tamer, you’ve got it made. But no, it just keeps getting harder and harder.”

   “Well you just started,” said Kassy, catching the bag of chocolate that Anya tossed at her. Jassy whined and began crawling on her knees to retrieve the bag. “I’m sure once you get the hang of it, it shouldn’t be all that difficult.”

   So she says, Clyde thought to himself.

   He watched as Kassy and Anya played monkey in the middle with the bag of chocolate, trying to keep it away from Jassy. Felix began going through the variety of sweets, checking the nutrition facts and grimacing shortly after.

   All the while, Clyde watched Seyth from the corner of his eye. The queen had told Clyde to learn more about the Kin named Positra and her Tamer named Amias. By doing that, Clyde would learn more about Seyth… But how were they all linked?