Chapter 6: Foreign Audience

The boat was a complete wreck. If it weren’t for the Kin putting the pieces back together, it would have simply sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Even after all the work, it looked like a pile of trash that was simply floating along. Luckily, Lakia altered and sped up the current to get them to their destination quicker.

   Two days after the event, no one had gotten over the shock. Even Kane seemed effected enough to halt Clyde’s training session. Seyth continued to keep to himself and Anya kept herself locked in what was left of her cabin.

   Meanwhile, Clyde never imagined such an intense battle could ever occur. At the same time, he was amazed by Kane and his Kin to nearly wipe out an entire army. It wasn’t too long ago when Clyde had doubted Kane’s power, but after this, there was no way he would question Kane’s might again.

   And all the while, Clyde never mentioned anything about who he had seen – or rather, who he had thought he’d seen on the ship. Even though Clyde was certain it was Krone, it simply didn’t add up…

   Why would Krone, one of the advisors of Endnark, be onboard Eternalia’s vessel? Come to think of it, wasn’t Eternalia the one that had supposedly imprisoned Krone? Besides, in his letter, he said that he was stranded on some other island for the time being. Krone had played the role of “bad guy” before – was he simply doing it again?

   Kane kept himself alert the entire time, as if expecting Eternalia to strike again. He constantly had private chats with Seyth – probably giving him advice on how to control Atlas. If the situation were any different, Clyde would have shoved his anger issues in their faces.

   By the third day, the tension was calming down. According to Kane, they were well within striking distance to Middlehaven. And being so close to another school, Eternalia would be out of its mind to try another assault.

   Anya remained skeptical, nonetheless. She was quieter than usual and remained unresponsive for the most part. Clyde even went so far as to try insulting her in order to snap out of her daze (“What’s wrong with you? You usually don’t shut up…”), but she simply ignored his attempts. Even though she hadn’t seen most of the battle, she seemed to have been traumatized by it the most.

   It wasn’t until sunset of day four after the battle, that they at last spotted the island from afar. Clyde, Seyth, and Anya all ran over to the edge of the mangled boat to get a better look. Of course, from so far away, it looked like a wilderness of green.

   “Are they expecting us?” Clyde asked.

   “Nope,” replied Kane rather indignantly. “Better for us to take a look around.”

   Seyth grunted.

   “Isn’t that dangerous? They could all start attacking us –”

   “So?”

   Both Clyde and Seyth sighed and hung their heads.

   “Have you ever been to Middlehaven?” Anya piped.

   Kane nodded but said nothing.

   As the sun continued to sink, the island came into better focus. Lights from buildings sprung to life, illuminating the sky.

   “Okay, this is where we abandon ship,” Kane announced a few minutes later. “Collect all our belongings –”

   “Huh?” Clyde gaped. “And why in the world –?”

   “Because,” Seyth interrupted, “this island also has a water Kin in charge of knocking any unauthorized ships down into the bottom of the ocean.”