Chapter 22: The First of Ten

The six of them all entered the Vault and were at once stunned by a bright light blasting into their eyes, blinding them completely.

   "You know, I always imagined this place to be dark," Clyde muttered, shielding his eyes from the light.

   Oskelo fired out smoke from his sleeves, dimming the light from wherever it was coming from.

   "Look," Kassy pointed out.

   To Clyde's amazement, it seemed that the wall in front of them had been smashed and the pillars around them showed signs of damage also. The disturbing part was that there was absolutely no one else around.

   "He's definitely in here," said Seyth. "He took out all the security."

   "Well, that makes our jobs easier," Clyde nodded, walking forward.

   They all moved ahead through the smashed wall and that was when the light finally started to dim down. As they walked, it was becoming more and more difficult for them to see. The amount of damage that had been recently caused was still noticeable and Clyde shivered at the thought of what must have been here for the Kin to have to work so hard.

   After a few silent minutes of walking, listening to nothing but their own footsteps, they finally came across a dead end.

   "So...I guess he just found a different way?" Kassy suggested.

   "No," Seyth interrupted. "We've followed his footsteps exactly up to this point. Assuming we're going the right way, I'd say we've made it to the next chamber."

   "And what's that?"

   "I remember Krone Nyklus bragging about the layout of the Vault," Seyth continued. "The first chamber consists of a series of powerful Kin blocking the way. The second chamber is a maze – but that in itself has a trick about how to even get inside."

   "How many chambers are there?"

   "Three," Seyth replied. "Provided we survive through the maze, all that remains is the Crystal Chamber itself. And while there isn't any protection in that chamber, I'm positive that that's where that Kin is staying."

   "So then...the maze is full of traps I'm guessing, right?" Kassy squeaked.

   "Without a doubt," Seyth grumbled. "The first chamber is a joke compared to the second one."

   Clyde swallowed and looked at Kassy.

   "Weren't you the one who told me that this is a never ending labyrinth?"

   Kassy nodded and pursed her lips.

   "Well, let's find a way inside first," said Seyth, approaching the wall. "Look around and see if there's some kind of switch or something..."

   "Can't we just break down the wall?" Clyde suggested.

   "Are you stupid?" Seyth barked. "These walls are made from some of the strongest material in the world. Besides, destroying any of the walls triggers a trap. It sends a wave of highly advanced Kin to strike. And at our level, I don't think we would be able to stand up to even one of them."

   With no other choice, Clyde and the others began to scavenge the completely bare room in what little light there was left. They spent the next five minutes searching but all they could find was a spider web with a dead spider dangling on it.

   "Wait," said Kassy suddenly. "D-do you hear that?"

   Clyde strained his ears and a moment later, he heard it.