Chapter 10: The Secret Prison

“We’re gonna be neighbors?” said Clyde a few days later.

   “Yeah, since there’s no more room in the palace,” Kassy explained as she unlocked the apartment beside Clyde’s.

   “Well apparently there was just enough room for Anya, huh?” he remarked stubbornly.

   “Oh, well, you know, she’s an exception,” Kassy replied with a smile.

   Felix was stumbling around with his enormous bags, filled with his belongings.

   “How many people live in there anyways?” Clyde asked, ignoring Felix’s cry for help.

   “A lot,” Kassy answered, standing in front of the door. “Mostly natives because their parents can afford it.”

   “And I’m guessing Anya’s an exception to that, too, huh?”

   “Yup!”

   Felix finally lost his balance and tumbled over with all of his belongings littering the steps, but neither of them paid him any attention as they walked into the little room. It was just as small and as dull as Clyde’s. Felix eventually made his way into the room and dropped his things on the ground and then collapsed on the available bed.

   “You know, for someone so smart, you’re kinda dumb,” Clyde pointed out.

   “Eh?”

   “Well, you could have just put the bags on the floor while you were waiting for her to open the door. In fact, you almost remind me of someone…”

   Clyde smirked at the thought of Tony Smiths.

   “Well, let’s help him unpack,” Kassy suggested. “It’s the least we can do, right Clyde?”

   “Actually,” he said, stepping out of the apartment, “as you can see, I’m fully dressed on this Saturday morning.”

   “Well, I’m definitely glad you’re not naked,” Felix pointed out thoughtfully, placing a finger on his chin.

   “That’s not what I meant!” he growled back as Kassy giggled. “I’ve decided to start speaking to Kane again – so I’ll be heading to the palace.”

   He strolled off, disregarding Kassy telling him that they could walk there together after helping Felix unpack.

   In the week that past, Felix had been enrolled in the academic classes. With the grades he had received within that single week, Felix was already making a name for himself on the island. Just like Clyde, everyone expected Felix to be a strange, awkward outcast – especially with his freaky eyes. But, given enough time, he was practically welcomed to the island by everyone with open arms. It seemed that no one else was aware that he was the controller of the Quality of the Mind nor that he was originally from Middlehaven.

   Atticus on the other hand was more of a nuisance. He followed Felix everywhere from a distance, keeping a watchful eye on him like a walking camera. Of course, he was by no means a master of stealth, so whenever Clyde would walk with Felix, Atticus could be spotted hiding behind a bush.

   Meanwhile, Clyde’s lessons with Kane seemed to have come to a sudden halt. Not that Clyde minded, but it did become a bit discouraging by the end of the week. Every night, Clyde would try to put out the candle and would have absolutely no luck. It was for this reason that Clyde figured that he may as well use this free time to get Kane to help him get back into the habit of his training.

   But, there was one other thing he was going to ask him…

   He arrived at the palace and inquired to the guarding, maroon cloaked Kin about Kane.