Chapter 23: An Undead Legacy

Final chapter everyone. Enjoy!

*******

*******

Bane and Clyde gazed into each other's eyes. Years later, this would become known as the Meeting of Destiny.

"We meet at last," said Bane very slowly.

His voice was unlike his brothers'. He spoke calmly, clearly... All Clyde could do was stare back in complete disbelief. He didn't know what was going on except that something was horribly wrong.

Bane was young. His face showed no signs of age. His brown hair was messy like Kane's but his beard was thinner. His face was expressionless. But the thing that disturbed Clyde the most were his pearly, white eyes.

"Krone told me what you said before," Bane continued.

"K-Krone?" Clyde stammered. He suddenly realized just how dry his mouth had become.

"But of course, you would not know."

And then, as he said this, Magneous and Eruptos appeared at his sides.

"W-where're Seyth and Kassy?" Clyde asked nervously. He wasn't sure, but he had not an ounce of confidence left.

"They are alive," replied Bane. "I needed them out of the way so that I could speak to you."

"Me?"

Bane took a step toward Clyde and Clyde quickly took a step back.

"I see," Bane whispered. "This all must come as a shock to you."

Clyde stood there, shivering as if he had just come out of an ice cold shower. He tried to respond but found himself unable to say anything.

"Mephistopheles," Bane announced. "Retrieve the map."

In the blink of an eye, the Kin appeared before Clyde. Startled, the boy fell backward while the Kin lifted the stone tablet. Beneath it was a tattered piece of parchment that Mephistopheles very carefully picked up.

"H-hold on," Clyde stammered. "What are you going to do with that?"

Bane did not say a word. Instead, Mephistopheles handed Bane the map. Bane held it in his hands for a brief moment, not looking at it. And then, quite suddenly, the map erupted into flames.

"No...," Clyde breathed.

"This was only to be used by me," said Bane, dropping the remains of the map. "As I have already located Balthazar's book, this map is no longer needed. I sent Krone to collect and destroy this. However, he failed and simply brought back a false diary I had no idea existed."

"But..." Clyde began, "the Untamed..."

Bane waited patiently for Clyde to continue.

"The Untamed will be successful, no matter what measures you may take against them."

"What makes you say that?"

"I have seen the future," Bane said casually. "I have seen the Untamed victorious and I have seen the fall of Endnark. And I have seen you at my side - becoming one of the Gatekeepers - witnessing my victory over the world."

Clyde's eyes widened even more. His licked his rocky lips and heaved his chest.

"Your victory?" Clyde whispered.

"After Endnark has fallen," explained Bane, "there will only be four Tamer Schools left. I will have conquered all four of them and become the king and establish the New World Order."