Till Death Do Us Part

Wind whips through the grass and around my body, pushing the grey dress against my skin. It blows my brown hair to one side, my sword becoming cold in my hand. The war around me ceases to exist as he comes into view, standing across from me on the battle field. My heart wrenches and my body stiffens. The sword in my hand becomes ice and I choke back a sob.

I'll love you forever, Lorelei, he whispered only the night before.

A tear drips down my face, as well as his, as we both raise our swords. We stand still, neither of us advancing. I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces all over again.

You are mine, forever and ever, Asher. I love you.

We will get through this together. And tomorrow night, after this war, I will hold you in my arms as I am now. A smile of content danced on his lips as he kissed me, pausing time around us. The air had stilled in that moment, giving us the only time we will ever have, giving me a memory to leave with.

I trust you, with my kingdom, and everything I am.

My knees wobble as I drop to them, letting my sword fall beside me.

"I cannot fight the man I love," I say, looking into his brown eyes, swimming with sadness and pain. More tears fall down my face as he slowly walks toward me, sword still in hand. He lets his tears fall, too.

I smile at him, my whole world. He kneels before me.

"I'm so sorry, Lore," he says, his voice trembling. I reach up with both hands, wiping his face clear of tears, only to be replaced by more.

"It's alright, my love. I'm ready."

Asher leans over, taking my face in his trembling hands, and kisses me. I know, in the pit of my stomach, that this will be our last kiss.

Our tears mix as his lips move against mine, taking in every last bit of me. My fingers trail into his hair, holding onto him for as long as I can. I convey everything words cannot, as does he. The kiss lasts a lifetime, but yet, it's not enough. When he pulls back, I see the agony in his eyes.

"It's okay," I whisper, pulling him into a hug. My face dives into the nape of his neck, breathing in his scent once more: oak wood and ocean water mixed with the smell of blood.

I gasp as his sword pierces my torso. Warm blood flows out of me, falling into our laps. The pain is minimal as my body goes into shock.

He pulls away once more, resting his forehead against mine. He holds my body up as I begin feeling dizzy, trying to stay with him for a few moments more.

"I love you," his voice breaks as he says the words, "forever and ever." I caress his face softly.

"I love you, too." And with that, I take my last breath, before falling limp into my lover's arms.

————

Y'all- this chapter hurt to write. I hope you guys enjoyed it though. Also! drop chapter ideas/what you guys want to see more of in the comments!

Vote and comment if you enjoyed this part!

Current reads: 912
Current votes: 31

Follow me on Instagram!
@sydney._.roth
@divergent.stories1

Check out my other stories!

Moth: A Short Story
My Divergent FanFic Series
A Girl By Any Other Voice