Connected

A sharp pain slams into my chest as I stand by the fire in the great room, my glass of whiskey thrown to the ground as I buckle over, clutching at my heart.

I feel her before I see her.

All our lives, we have been rivaling, always looking to get the upper hand over the other. Our powers, both extraordinary, both capable of ruling the world.

I hadn't realize the fine line of competition and hatred turn into something else, something more, a need for one another. We became a part of each other. She became a limb, and organ, something I need to survive. She's the reason for my drive.

The push and pull of our existence leaves us connected. When she is hurt, I am hurt.

Her sobs, bellowing into the room from the corridor, strike arrows to my heart and my eyes begin to burn. With gasping breaths, I run to her, finding her crumpled in the corner of the hall, more broken than I hav ever seen. She's vulnerable, so I am vulnerable. I could feel the hole in my heart where her happiness used to reside, gone now.

I drop down next to her, taking her face in my hands, her dark skin glowing with tears. I softly wipe them with my fingers.

"Go away," she whimpers, the pain in her voice stabbing my chest. She still doesn't get it, doesn't understand.

"Look at me," I growl, holding her face, making her look into my eyes, brimmed with tears. The pain in her eyes breaks me further. I'd have to deal with whoever did this later.

"Somewhere along the way," I say, my voice softening. "Our hearts began calling to each other. Our powers became stronger together, and we became one." Leaning in, I kiss away her tears, each one a leak of our beings, of our essence. "That means that when you break, I feel it. And I break, too, darling." My voice cracks with the last's words, her pain blooming in me, our pain.

Softy, I rest my forehead against hers and begin to cry, sharing her pain. She begins crying again, folding her arms around me, moving into my lap. I hug her close to my body, tight, so that she knows I've got her.

Our tears become one as we grip each other.

The pain finally begins to soothe in my heart, realizing it can't beat the both of us. I lean back onto the carpeted floor, flush with exhaustion, curling up with her.

I fall asleep to her breaths, and wake up to her heartbeats. I hold her in my arms, knowing that she is a part of myself I will never let go.

————

hey guys!! it's been a minute!! i've been super busy lately and have had no time or energy to write. thought i wrote this quickly, i hope you guys enjoyed! i love you all <3

thank you all for reading this chapter! vote and comment if you liked it!

Current reads: 16.1k
Current votes: 921

Follow me on Instagram!
@sydney._.roth
@swrites05

Check out my other stories!

The Point of A Dagger
Moth: A Short Story
My Divergent FanFic Series
A Girl By Any Other Voice