Chapter 26: Working with People With Developmental Disabilities

Prior to starting graduate school, there were limits as to what I could do in the field. I was not able to work as a mental health professional yet. However, there are jobs where one can work as a para-professional.

I found opportunities to do work with clients who have developmental disabilities as well as in some cases, mental illness and/or physical conditions/disabilities. There has been some overlap between the fields.

The Mental Health Center in New Hanover County was also the Center for Developmental Disabilities.

With my job ending at Corning, I had to find other work. I had been spending all my time with Lynn and my self-esteem had grown tremendously as a result of that relationship and as a result of the experience, my time with Celta before that, and my various experiences as a volunteer in the psychiatric field.

I'm not saying there were not struggles, worries, or uncertainty. Had my mental health not improved from where it was before I moved to Wilmington, I might have been more panicky about the job ending after six months.

Instead, I just looked for opportunities and bounced ideas off Lynn. It was very helpful to have someone who could hold me in her body... someone I could cuddle up next to whenever I was anxious or fearful. Plus, she was very practical, as I described earlier, so I felt confident that I could find answers and solutions to meet the challenges I was facing, whatever they might be.

As I was saying, I needed to find employment after the job at Corning ended. I had worked as a technical writer and had saved up a great deal of money in just six months. Since the job was contracted through an employment agency in Augusta, Georgia, the salary was paid as per diem – similar to when a company pays you for going to a conference. This way most of it was not taxed at all!

Eventually, I found a job with an agency that treats individuals with developmental disorders such as autism, and various levels of mental retardation. The latter is measured by results on IQ tests when a person scores at least two standard deviations below normal - which is an IQ of 70 or less.

I started working with a client who had autism and some degree of mental retardation. I met him at the day program that existed in Wilmington and which was affiliated with the Southeastern Center for Mental Health/Developmental Disorders/Substances Abuse Services. Adults would come for several hours to the facility where they would be taught various skills for coping in the environment.

The guy I was working with was very big, about twice my size, and he could not speak as a result of his condition or disorders – that is commonly the case for individuals with autism. He used sign language. So, I had a chance to learn sign language. It was so very important to be able to sign various words to communicate with him.

I had goals and things that I was supposed to do with him every day. One such goal might be to accompany him for walks around the area. Obviously, I had to make sure he didn't run out into traffic so I mainly walked on the sidewalk closest to the street to ensure that this would not happen.

He also had a problem with repetitive behaviors where he would swing his arms and risk injuring himself. This is troublesome because I was afraid that he would hurt himself. No one spelled out what exactly I should do when this happened.

There was at least one other individual there who was a client of the same company and I worked with him as well.

I knew that case managers had developed the goals which were put into a treatment plan that I was responsible for implementing. I also knew that case managers are usually social workers – not typically social workers with an MSW (master's in social work).

I wondered if I was helping these people. I knew I was helping their families, but I wasn't getting direct feedback from the clients I was serving.