Chapter 1: The Shy Boy

That's me in the photograph above

That's me in the photograph above. What do I feel when I see that photograph now? I feel a sense of what was missing, and I feel a sense that he was hurt at one point and he was scared. Self-compassion allows me to recognize these things in myself.

Many of the details of the abuse have been processed by me in therapy over the years. Other aspects of child abuse were healed through the relationships I had with friends and those I loved, including those who I loved emotionally.

We were physically assaulted/abused by both of our parents when we were growing up. The details of this have been processed by me through counseling, in conversations with and I have moved on with the support of people I have loved. So, I'm not going to describe actual incidents. I don't think it is necessary to go into detail about this. 

Growing up, we used to discuss this, my sister, Carrie, and me. I don't know what happened to that relationship with my sister. We used to be close.

Not too long ago, I realized that I had some residual problems related to this abuse. Just last year I tried to talk to her about this. Her response was shocking! She acted like she didn't remember the last emotional thing she had shared with me decades earlier. She acted like I was doing something wrong by even talking about these things.

I can't say what she felt about me talking to my therapist about these issues. I just know that she had not demonstrated any empathy, compassion, kindness, or understanding. She was angry at me!

Based on my years of experience and education, I might have some theories that might explain her reactions but that's material that is not important in this particular book. Those theories are not relevant. She isn't my client or patient seeking my assistance. In fact, tragically, we aren't in touch with each other now.

One of the first memories that left an impact on me and which is relevant to this book is a memory I had when my mother's mother heard me in distress and heard what she recognized as abuse. My grandma yelled at her own daughter and her son-in-law to leave Bruce alone.

You see she was weak at this point in her life. She got around with a walker. She and Grandpa moved in with us when we were very young children because their health had deteriorated relatively early in their lives. They first moved into our home when Grandma was about 70 and Grandpa was about 78.

Sometime later, when I was about 8, that's when something was happening as I was on the stairs leading to the second floor of our home. I don't even remember all the details. I only remember Grandma yelling "leave Bruce alone." And I remember thinking "but Grandma, I'm bad."

That was NOT true. I most certainly was not a bad boy. I had tried so hard to do everything right. I was just that small, skinny, fearful, little boy like the one you see in the photograph above. The southerners would say that Grandma cussed out her daughter and son-in-law. I don't believe it was a physical assault, but it had bothered Grandma enough to shout those words as a command – a command that she could not enforce other than with shame, which she hoped would work. Maybe Grandma still believed she commanded authority over her daughter.

Grandpa used to be so protective of me too. We would take out the garbage and do other chores together. He would call me "Brucie" until I was almost 13 until he died. He was nearly blind it had seemed to me. Grandpa died at age 86. One of the ways he was protective or how he demonstrated concern was the way he cautioned against me lifting too much weight when we were doing chores. He said I might get a hernia.

As an immature boy, I was still trying to live up to the standards of how boys are not supposed to be wimps or sissies. We are socialized to be strong as boys and tough. Grandpa's wisdom was good though. I had a hernia operation when I was very young – in the part between the legs. It makes me uncomfortable to just think about getting any more specific.

The earliest years of my life are somewhat relevant to this book. I have no fond memories from growing up. I don't remember having had such memories. Maybe I once did.

A story about something very early in my life will illustrate some important issues that I want to describe. It's a story that I heard from my mother when I was growing up. Unless this story was not related to us later, I would not have known about this because I was so young. So, in the story, I was about two and my parents bought a fire engine. It made a loud noise and I got terrified. I can imagine myself reaching for comfort and consolation and I will tell you how I can imagine that in a moment.

The response of my parents was one of frustration. They had bought a gift and it was about them and how my fear affected them. It was like I wasn't showing any appreciation. Now, I think of my cat getting startled by a loud noise and what do I do even though my cat cannot understand my words. I say in a soothing tone, "it's okay, you're okay." I just noticed this recently. My interpretation and the examples I might use might be different if I was writing this at a different period in my life.

So, I was a "sensitive baby" and that was what was conveyed to me. Here's the thing that we know from psychological research. Babies and children need to bond with their parents so they can feel safe to explore the world. It's like we are on a ship and when the waves come and rock the boat, we need guardrails to feel safe. If we don't have that we are fearful.

This would explain why I was shy growing up. I didn't feel like I had a safe harbor.

I do know from my memories of Elementary School that I didn't feel like I could turn to grown-ups for safety or protection. The only memory of being picked on is a memory I have from when I was in Kindergarten or 1st grade. We were outside for recess and I was last to come back into the building. There were three or four other boys who taunted me and kept me from coming back and returning to class on time.

These four boys seemed to enjoy the bit of fear that I demonstrated. It's okay, kids can be mean and I'm not holding it against them. But I felt so embarrassed for even wanting help and for being picked on. I didn't tell the teacher.

In third grade, a new guy moved into my neighborhood named Paul Plourde. He was a big guy in my eyes. We became friends that year and I felt like I had a protector, so I really came out of my shell. It was amazing. In the mindset of me as a pre-teen kid, strength was what I thought I needed most. 

Only later would I discover that I didn't really need a physically strong protector to overcome my shyness. I didn't need a protector as much as I needed nurturing and comfort.

What do most parents do that was missing for me and what had I wanted? I wanted to be hugged. I wanted parents that snuggle with their children. I wanted to be spoken to with soothing words. I wanted to feel special. I wanted to be nurtured.

When I was about six or seven, I was at the YMCA learning how to swim and I was in the deep end. I had learned some things about swimming, but I was still a little scared. My swimming instructor was a teenager who was 17 or 18, as I remember it. I remember getting scared as I swam toward her and grabbing her around the neck. I thought I had done something wrong or maybe I just felt embarrassed that I needed this. Maybe someone would laugh at me for being weak and needy.

But at that moment, I got what I needed – soothing, comfort, and assurance that nothing would happen to me. I was okay. What I was doing was okay.

It would take me until I met Celta and started cuddling with her to realize that I had hungered for this my whole life so much. I was starving for affection by the time I reached adulthood. I needed caressing, nurturing, closeness, and physical contact.

I'll talk about the need for validation and other forms of comfort in the next chapter, including empathy.