Chapter 35: My Own Therapy, Treatment, And Education

I have always believed that therapists should be willing to get therapy themselves. First of all, it can be educational to understand ourselves so that we can understand others. As such, our own therapy is a part of our education.

We have all lived and been impacted by life. Some of the best therapists that I have known have been in treatment for various psychological issues and problems. Some of them also have dealt with additions... trauma, victimization, anxiety, and other problems.

Perhaps it makes us more understanding of the struggles that others might face in life. We also have seen the healing power of psychology and psychotherapy treatment techniques.

As an undergraduate student, I developed communication and social skills through the use of counseling and psychology. It included but was not limited to cognitive behavioral therapy techniques. It was something I had to do.

I was obviously very successful in my efforts or I wouldn't be doing what I have been doing all these years.

Certain skills that we learn as mental health professionals are learned through practice and experience. For example, consider hypnosis which I studied. Let me tell you about that.

I had enquired of some of my colleagues what organization provides the best most recognized training and certification. The answer I got from some hypnotherapists that I knew was the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH).

I had been meeting with a therapist who provides clinical hypnosis to help me overcome some fears, anxiety, stress, phobias, and other issues - nothing debilitating but I was intrigued ever since I had some exposure to these ideas during my internship with Chris Hauge at "The Oaks." The use of hypnosis seemed to be somewhat similar to experiential techniques like gestalt therapy, inner child work, visualization and etc.

So, after I got my degree and while I was working in the field, I traveled to Chapel Hill from Wilmington to participate in an ASCH-certified training program taught by a professional who was certified to provide training.

It was fascinating and very useful. Somehow, I was able to get one day off from work and it was justified as required continuing education credits that all clinical social workers are required to obtain every year.

I know that I was getting more than the minimum required training for licensed clinical social workers.

Self-Discovery and My Own Personal Therapy/Treatment

I had changed jobs a few times during that time period after graduation for reasons that had to do with my values and interests as compared to the settings where I worked. I did mention that there were some issues that I had with Brynn Marr. 

I had three jobs before I started my own private practice. I know that might seem bad because I had been changing jobs three times in about two years during the years 1996, 1997, and 1998. With Brynn Marr, I found that the ethics around how they operated were not consistent with my ethical values.

Lynn had heard things about them and so she wasn't surprised that this didn't work out. Then I started a job in New Bern for one month in late December and into January of 1997 and I was miserable. I couldn't make sense of why Lynn was fine with me taking this job away from her from Monday through Friday.

I had gotten my own apartment up there, which was cold, empty, and desolate. Maybe I should have waited for a better job which would have been a better match and closer to home. This was a Case Manager position, and I was just doing screenings to determine if someone needed hospitalization for psychiatric reasons.

The biggest problem for me was being away from Lynn all week. Hadn't we committed ourselves to one another to live as husband and wife? She didn't seem to protest my choice to be away from her all week! That only made me more depressed.