Chapter 57: My Final Days in Wilmington - Reflections On What Happened

[Disclaimer: I have used aliases for clients to protect their identity and confidentiality.]

For a few weeks in mid-2000, I had been making over $1000 per week. Yes, indeed. I had forgotten to mention that previously in this book. Things were really taking off for me. In June, I had been putting in more than forty hours per week and loving that. I wouldn't want to do that forever, because I wanted to enjoy the life I had with Lynn - before everything happened. There were a couple of weeks where I brought in over $2000.

I had plans. All that collapsed in August and into the first week to ten days of September of 2000. I am not going to offer an itemized list of how I went from being on track to making six figures per year to nothing. The funds that I had were not all for me, of course.

I want to try to comment on the nature of what was stated by the clients who filed grievances with the North Carolina Social Worker Certification and Licensure Board (NCSWCLB). I mentioned that I knew that John Freifeld had composed the entire grievance/complaint letter for the clients. I found out from my lawyer that the board was aware that he composed the entire statement that they made.

Some aspects of this complaint letter were vague and likely a form of projection. John filled their heads with the idea that I had only been interested in meeting with them each week because I found them attractive. It seemed to me based on my experience that he was projecting his own motives toward women onto me.

I do not know exactly what was going on at the home of Jessica, the first client he referred to me when he was still living in Virginia. In case I was unclear, when sometime after John referred a few clients to me, with Jessica being the first one, he moved in with Jessica, her husband, and son.

This arrangement grew. Clients who came to my support group for people with Dissociative Identity Disorder exchanged phone numbers and then started spending time over at the home of Jessica where John provided "support" as he called it but it was really more accurate to call what he was doing therapy.

When I described the actions of John to my fellow clinical social workers they agreed that what he was providing therapy and that I should tell them that I cannot continue to provide therapy to them while they were seeing him. A much fuller explanation of what he was doing is available elsewhere.

It is likely that these clients got worse due to the interventions of John and they needed someone to blame. So, when John told them they could and should file a grievance against me and sue me that must have made perfect sense.

I mentioned that I had turned to my family for support when Lynn became ill. I am not sure how hard I tried to get support from my family.

I couldn't ask Lynn's mother to reconsider selling the house and allowing this incredibly special relationship to end. I had no idea what Lynn was thinking at this point which is so painful to admit.

My shame at not being there for Lynn made it hard to discuss what was happening to me and the problems that we had in a way that would have been easier in the past.

We couldn't get married for health and insurance reasons, so it had seemed too easy to deconstruct our life. In retrospect, Diane knew we were living as husband and wife. So, I was like a son-in-law.

I had always been welcomed for holidays with Lynn. More than that, Diane bought the home for us. Sure, it was an investment but her decision to sell it when Lynn decided that she didn't think she would be coming back demonstrated that it was for us and that she knew that I was the one that had made Lynn so happy.

She must have remembered that.

I had nowhere to go now. Lynn took the cats. For a while, I asked to take the cats, but I was feeling sufficiently guilty, and I was on the run soon... without anything that I had known for so long. When I say on the run, I mean that I had no stable living arrangement for a long time. I had no home.

I would end up leaving my clients stranded as well without an explanation.

Dear reader, if you have any unanswered questions now, please understand one thing that is key. I was so out of it, so in shock, so unable to process everything, so overwhelmed... I couldn't figure out anything myself!

I entirely expect readers to have many more questions. When you fully appreciate my state of mind, you will understand why I do not have answers or did not know then... anything.

This might be a good time to make a transition to another section of my book. Where I went and what I did as I bounced around from place to place was as a ball dropped down some steps.

Here's a poem that I wrote as I reflected upon the horrors of this period, including the inability to handle the trauma of my clients as I had been able to do in the past.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

I'd like to think
I'm just like
anyone else -
that we all have limits...
There's only so much
we can take...
So much -
Pain... Fear... Loss... Trauma.
There's only so much
any of us can experience
and remain sane
and true to
our ideals, our values,
who we are and
the person we have become.
When the pain,
the fear, the terror,
the trauma
exceeds this limit,
We snap
and for a while
we drift away...
away to someplace
in our mind,
someplace utterly unknown,
unexpected,
outside reality...
maybe we come back
and then maybe we don't...
It depends on what
might call us back.

Through the next few years, I was someone without a plan and without hope. I have a short chapter that is a letter to someone else who loved Lynn.