Chapter 28: First-Year Graduate Studies in the Social Work Department

I began graduate studies at the University of South Carolina in September of 1993 as a part-time student for the first year. This was prior to Lynn and I getting engaged and then moving in with each other.

With my past experience mainly as a volunteer working with the social work team at a psychiatric hospital in Georgia, I was able to get letters of recommendation that were necessary to get into graduate school.

As I think of this, I worry about how I am portraying Lynn. She wasn't a housewife, homemaker, or anything like that. I didn't come home and say "honey, I worked all day can you cook me dinner?" She wasn't living through me and my successes.

As I mentioned previously, she had to keep her income below a certain level to qualify for health insurance to maintain her health and stay alive. That meant limiting her work hours. She did some office-type work and used her proofreading skills. Of course, she had her pottery as well.

She wasn't sitting at home watching TV while I worked, went to school, and did my internships.

Anyway, after gaining admission to the school in the fall of 1993, I found out that there were a few classes I could take part-time through distance learning. Instead of traveling over three hours to Columbia, South Carolina, I only had to travel to the campus in Conway, South Carolina which was about an hour and a half away.

This allowed me to continue to get experience working directly with people in the human services field.

Going part-time wasn't a "real" college experience. I sat in a room by myself in the evenings. Sure, we could pick up a phone and interact a bit, but it was nowhere near as rewarding as full-time studies with other students in the same room.

Full-Time Graduate Studies in Social Work

I began full-time graduate studies in the fall semester of 1994.

This was still, obviously, at the University of South Carolina but now I was going to Columbia, South Carolina. This was a three-hour drive from Wilmington, North Carolina. I would drive down on Wednesday and stay in one of the dorm rooms. I would then check out the next day and go to class on Thursday.

Three back-to-back classes, that were just under three hours long. Hardly a break between classes.

On Monday and Tuesday, I had my internship. An internship isn't paid work. So, I had to borrow money to cover living expenses, books, travel, and other expenses.

The Stafford Loans are designed to cover a scenario just like this. During the summer between what would be the first year of my studies and the second, I was able to pick up extra hours working as a paraprofessional.

Anyway, this was like night and day from my earlier days in college when I had been so shy and quiet. I suppose I was anxious to share my thoughts, speak in class, participate, ask questions and learn as much as possible. That is what I was doing.

I was psyched. This was happening for real! My dreams, my goals, were coming true.

During the first year, you study both macro and micro-level social work practices. Some colleges call these direct and indirect services.

Macro-level social work addresses issues that can be looked at from the level of a community, an organization, an agency, or government. So, we learned about the history of social welfare in the United States. Of key importance among the programs that stand out or the periods in history are the FDR years and the "New Deal."

In terms of macro-level work, we were expected to do a "needs assessment" for a community where you are living. Through my work, I had identified a low-income community that was partially in the historic district of Wilmington not far from the Cape Fear River. I had also been going to a gym in that area. It was a boxing gym, but I wasn't a boxer. I just went to work out. It wasn't far from one of my internship placements.