Chapter 10: Sponsored Trident

Chapter 10 [Finnick P.O.V.]

When I wake up my vision is gone. All I see is a sheat of solid grey. I reach for my face and all I can feel is cloth. I rip it off of my face and the jungle scene comes back. I hold a parachute. I follow the strings down it until it ends at a silver, long trident. Tridents are expense for a normal day life in district 4, but I'm in the hunger games, and in the final eight. This can't be true.

But when I reach out my fingers press against the metal, proving it's not a hallutionation. I bring it toward my body clasping my hands around it. I've never had a trident before. And then I stop. My mentors chose this. The fact that they actually are supplying me shocks me, considering I was the reason Willa's dead.

I look up to the sky and whisper, "Thank you, Mags." It left a smile on my face because she got what she wanted, and what I like too. She was listening when I was talking about my past life. I get up and stuff whatever I need from Willa's bag into mine and peel off my bandages.

No blood. It's regular skin. It makes me wonder if I actually had any wounds before I put the bandages there. I get up, walking around, collecting hanging vines to make nets for traps. I don't understand why I'm walking so out in the open with seven other tributes also wandering, if I was at home I would yell at any tribute who did that, they're dead meat. I feel like I got my second wind. I search of any sign of a tribute. After a while I sit back down and eat some crackers.

For the next two days I set up net traps in a pattern only I would know, if I could even remember. On the third day I rested. The fourth day the action picked up.

Snap! Snap! This was the familiar sound of my net springing up, I left my bag behind and ran toward the sounds. The boy from district 10 hung in the air in my net. His district partner stood below in my line of vision, like a deer caught in headlights.

Fear was painted across her face, and she immediately bolted, I followed. She took five steps and sprung up into another one of my nets. She cried, knowing this was the end. I approached her net and stabbed with my trident until a cannon sounded and then repeated with the boy. My first two kills despite the tributes I killed at the cornucopia, this is my first real kil.

This is the final six.

+++

[Annie's P.O.V.]

Reporters flood the streets of district four like an actual flood. I look at them from the front window of my house wondering if I'd ever get a chance to escape to the pier. Surely they'd recognize me. Reporters have had to go through footage of the reaping and see Finnick and I exchanging looks. Maybe not? At the beginning of the final six they always send reporters to the final tributes districts.

I closed the curtain and walk further into my house, further away from the reporters.

[Finnick's P.O.V.]

"Attention tributes!" Ceaser's voice caries throughout the arena. "There will be a feast at the cornucopia tomorrow! Food, weapons, medicine, supplies for anyone! Come tomorrow!' It takes me a moment to figure out what I need to do. It's obvious. I don't even hesitate. I make vine nets and take my bag and trident and run to the cornucopia. The sun is starting to go down. I need to speed up. I wont actually got to the cornucopia. I don't even get close to the clearing. I set up a net trap one by one until I've made it around placing one every 25 feet. I lay low in the bushes and let my eyelids drop.

+++

Willa's scream pierces my ears. I turn around again and shes falling down into the river. I reach for her arm and our hands slide. I hold onto her hand keeping her from going down. And I start to fall too. We go down. And right before my skin comes in contact with the water Willa's hand morphs into a trident, and the games are back.

I brush myself off, maybe hoping to brush off the nightmare too with it and get up. Dawn is coming. I walk over to the edge of the jungle and look at the open field. There is not food yet. nothing. the cornucopia is empty. They probably wont set out the supplies until someone kills another. I didn't come for the food, supplies, or weapons. I came to get this over with.

Until the sun was up almost at noon I saw my first sign of movement, but not in they way I planned. On the other side of the field, the only non-career left, the boy from district 5, sprinted towards the cornucopia. instead of ruining towards him out in the open I ran out along the out skirts of the jungle to where he came from. I knew he would come back this way because that's the only way out that he knew was safe. He grabs a small bag of bread and turns around and runs. I take calm breaths and wait for him to come closer. Totally oblivious, he runs in my direction. He heads towards the direction of one of my nets and keeps going into just the exact place I was hoping he would. He steps over the net and the whole thing springs up collecting his body in it. I don't wait long to make my move. I run with my trident and jab it into his body. A scream. Some blood. A cannon. I stuff his bread into my bag. I needed to get out before the other Careers come.

The final five...

And I run away.

__________________________

Please don't forget to vote and comment about how I did! ;)

Edited 4/18/14