Chapter 5: The Training Center

Chapter 5 [Annie's P.O.V.]

I laid my school books on my bed and collapsed on the bed. Night fell around me. Could Finnick come back? No one around me mentioned him. Would I ever hear from him? Only from the note that comes back in his casket. I began to cry up a storm. I reminded myself that he wasn't dead yet. If he ever did make it back, I know I will appreciate him more.

+++

[Finnick's P.O.V.]

The private training came up soon. While eating dinner and breakfast Willa and I knew we were going to save the talking for when we were alone. We couldn't stand our mentor's alcoholic breaths and the small skimpy clothes they wore. They just wanted a new victor to go to newer parties. District four hasn't had a victor in a little while.

I felt unwelcome in our mentor's presence. I don't know if it was the fact that I was fourteen, so young they disliked me for it, or if there was actually something wrong with me. But Mags didn't give me that feeling. She treated me like I was her own child. I wonder if it's just me or is she always loving towards one of the tributes each year. Will she grieve if I die, or will she get over the fact that I'm just another one that bit the dust.

The elevator doors opened. We walked into a stone cell where we waited for the private training. I leaned my elbows on my knees and sighed. My body shook unable to calm my nerves. I got over myself and began to talk

"Wha-What are you going to do?" my voice shook.

"Maybe well I don't know. Probably the spear technique you showed me," she said. I nodded and leaned back.

"And you?" She added after a couple of seconds.

"Same," I breathed out deeply. Could I pull this off? Live? Even though I wasn't entering the arena right now, it sure felt like it.

"Willa Becky," a robotic voice requested. Willa stood up and silently walked to the cage door, which slid up into the ceiling. I gave her a thumbs up and she was soon gone.

I laid my shaking legs up onto the other side of the bench where Willa had sat. I couldn't stop shaking. Death. I knew it was coming. Stop it, I told myself, this is only private training. I shook my head. My thoughts seemed to cloud my head. I couldn't swipe them away. It took all I could to think properly.

"Finnick Odair," a mechanical voice said. My footsteps echoed as I approached the ascending cage.

The training center was empty. I rolled a spear in my hand. I had to show them this. I wish I could do this in water-it'd be a lot easier. I slid the spear out of its holder. It clanked until it came out. It felt so heavy this time, because it all weighs on sponsoring, how well I do, how well I score. The spear swung back and forth in my hand. I made my way to the shooting range.

Breathe in, breathe out. I pretended I was in the water. I was calm in the water. I am accurate in the water. Standing still, I opened my eyes and hurled the spear.

It landed in the chest.

Good. T-E-N. I could already hear Ceaser announcing my score. I didn't smile though. No. That would be giving away how predictable this years gamemakers are. I had to just go with it and use it to my advantage.

Through my thin bangs, that reached my eyes, I glared at the gamemakers. Like they were my next prey. Maybe they could be, I mean they wanted me dead anyways. Not with the armies they have, ready to flock at any rebel. Maybe later there could be a change.

+++

I nervously sat at the edge of the couch in the living room while waiting for the scores to be announced. Mentors buzzed with conversation.

I could barely make out the words Mags said. Something about how she won, nets, right? Chatter flew around the room and she was the only mentor that wouldn't ignore me. I should take it as a good thing, right? She has more experience in mentoring. But if it came to a vote the other mentors would out rule and save Willa.

Mags asked questions about what I did during training and then in the private training. She wanted to know more, but I could hardly understand the mumbling words that came from her mouth. What was it?

"No, no," she said. I guess I answered a wrong question. Again, how was I supposed to know what she said? "How did you learn how to throw the spear the right way?" I assumed she said.

"My dad?" Was that a good enough answer? I said it almost like a question, like I was terrified if I said something wrong. She would later have my life in her hands. "He was a fisher. Taught me how to do it when I was younger." She nodded as if she finally found the answer she was looking for.

"And for Marta a... 10" the scores began. Tens began streaming from the other careers. I felt like every second the air around me became less. Nerve racking. I could feel my breaths becoming shorter. "Willa Becky with a score of... 9!" Out bursts from everyone around me. "Finnick Odair with a score of... 10!" I flew out of my seat. I was expecting a nine like Willa. I guess I wasn't equal with her...

__________________________

Please don't forget to vote and comment about how that was!

Edited 3/20/14