Chapter 3: Finnick's Reaping

Chapter 3: [Finnick's P.O.V.]

Throughout months of blisters on my hands from trying to make the net I couldn't believe I finished it. I made it! I honestly finished the net. I wanted to surprise her with it.

But an unavoidable event happened today:

The reaping.

I would tell her later, after it was over. I shoved the net under a rock by the main path that we always took to the beach. Not too far away, I waited for her. It was our usual meeting place, the beach where I had saved her four years ago.

She smiled and we walked side by side. "You nervous?" I teased.

"Nah," her voice was shaky though. "You?" she asked.

"Nope," I said. I couldn't wait for it to be over, so I could show her the net.

We separated to get into line. Tess, our guide for this year, came on stage with layers of makeup on her face. She stepped back and played the video. The same video I've watched over and over again, even in the roped off area for younger children that would later be thrown into the reaping ball in coming years. I could basically recite the words in my head.

"War, terrible war..."

Once it finished, Tess enthusiastically announced. "That was beautiful! Let's pick a brave young girl and man for the honor of representing District Four in the Annual 65th Hunger Games!"

She made her way to the girls bowl. I looked across the rows of girls to Annie. She stared at Tess' hand, as it held a slip, nervously.

"Willa Becky!" My body relaxed: it wasn't Annie. A tall blond girl walked to the stage, who I recognized from somewhere around the docks.

"Now to the boys!" She made her way to the ball. Annie looked at me through the crowd. I mouthed the words "It's okay" to her, but she didn't look any calmer. It was one of those moments when you felt like your stomach turned into a rock and it drops in your body. The air was hard to breath. As soon as Tess' lips formed for the "F" sound, my terrible suspicion became my nightmare.

"Finnick Odair!"

Boys turned towards me and made a path that lead towards the stage. My feet pulled me to where I didn't want to go. I was a tribute. Whether or not I won my life would be in the capitols hands. I've seen the victors, how the Capitol demands for them. I stared out into the crowd searching for Annie, but I didn't have enough time. I was whisked away into a small room.

[Annie's P.O.V.]

I couldn't imagine Finnick in the games. The whole country will soon know his name, who he is, but for not really who he is.

I ran into the small room which imprisoned Finnick. He looked into my eyes with fear. I could feel a tear streamed down my face. I looked into my hand which held the small bracelet that I had made months ago, the pearl bracelet.

"I made something; will you take it as your token?"

"Of course Annie," said Finnick, he was calm. How could he be calm? I strung the bracelet around his wrist.

"I finished the net," he said just as I was leaning back after clipping the strand of knots around his wrist. What net, the one we had bet on months ago? That was a long time ago. I looked up into his eyes, this time I could see the fear that was lacking in his voice.

"I can't believe you remember that, let alone finished it. I thought you'd give it up after about a week." My voice cracks with discomfort throughout the middle of the sentence.