Chapter 37: Wedding Arrangements

Chapter 37 [Annie's P.O.V.]

Finnick's hand sweeps my bangs behind my ear, our bodies in the same position as moments before, arms wrapped around each other's waists. "How do you feel?" He asks, his green eyes never looking so lustrous before, with a still visible layer or gloss in the green glass balls from his tears that had just ran over his cheeks. He has found the ability to speak again.

"How do you feel Annie?" He asks again, his eyes pleading for an answer. He holds my face in his hands, and my hands are held crippled and idle between our torsos. But really, how do I feel? I search for an answer deep inside myself, but find no specific feeling.

"I can't tell," I admit. "Relieved, grateful..." I can't believe it when my voice cracks and I burst into another fit of sobs. This time all Finnick is able to do is give a wide smile, and continue to wrap himself around me, like any piece of me that isn't in contact with skin is vulnerable and unprotected. But there is nothing more to fear, right? Johanna, Peeta and I are no longer in the Capitol.

"Aren't you tired?" He said, mouth so close to my ear I can feel the wind created by his last breath.

"I haven't paid attention to my physical state in a while, Finn. You know that," I reply. His chest rises and falls against my hands, only more pronounced this time, like he was taking large breaths to choke back a sob.

After a moment when his chest falls at a normal rate again, he finally says, "How about we sit down."

He unravels one arm, but slips the other around my hip, guiding our bodies to the twin sized hospital bed in the center of the room. "I'm not going to bed, Finnick," I say, fearing that he might put me to sleep like a child on curfew.

"I wouldn't ask of you to. Just lay down," he said, beckoning to the hospital bed. I didn't want to fall asleep, because that would leave the insecurities of loosing Finnick. I could wake up, and he'd be gone, even if he had just walked away for a moment. I'm not ready to be separated from him again. Not again. How many times has it been? Too many to count, if you include the weeks of his absence to visit the Capitol throughout the past eight years.

"Please don't leave me," I cry.

He takes one step closer, grabbing both my hands this time and places them around his waist, so there's nothing between our bodies this time. Instead of hugging me, or holding my face, he smashes our lips together. The last words he says before we begin into a fit of lips, mouth and tongues is, "I promise."

I feel like I've lost him too many times to be able to doubt in his words. Each time I lost him, there was never a believable possibility of loosing him, but somehow there is always an exception. But this time, I've never been more sure of his words.

When we finally break apart, I am sure of what I want. "Stay close to me," I plead.

"Of course." There is something about his voice that makes me feel like I've been at a loss for not spending every second of my life with him. Finnick climbs into the edge of the bed and sits upright, back against pillow and head against the wall, sliding beneath the covers. Gladly, I follow, and since the bed isn't wide enough, I lay my head on his stomach and the rest of my body parallel to his.

His hands find my hair and twist it in his fingers, idle but careful. His warmth from his stomach and chest beneath my head make me buzz with serene and alleviation. Feelings I haven't felt in five years. I kept my eyes open, through the burning temptation to fall asleep. I want to savor this feeling of security.

It's over. It's over. It's over, I tell myself just as my eyelids droop one last time, where they stay shut like heavy anvils are tied to their lashes.