Chapter 38: The Proposal

Chapter 38 [Annie's P.O.V.]

It wasn't the next day when I was released from the hospital, which I had been hoping for. Finnick seemed more disappointed than I was when he realized this. It wasn't until four days later that a stack of grey District Thirteen uniform was placed beside my bed. I took a shower and dressed into the new apparel. The shirt hung wide on my body, given the result of the lack of food I had taken in the dark days of the cells in the Capitol. Suddenly the thoughts of the small window opening while the tray with two slices of bread and a slab of fairly warm meat would slide onto the floor of my cell. And the screams, I could hear them in the background, slowly growing louder in my ears.

My ears, that's where it's coming from. I press my palms into my ears and sink to my knees. My mouth slides into the awkward position where no screams come out, but shaped in a horrible grimace. My body has fallen in a collapsed heap.

His hands find mine eventually. Finnick's hands, I mean. His low voice makes it's way past the screams, saying, "It isn't real. It isn't real. Move your hands, it's actually silent."

Slowly, with his hands on the other side of mine, we pull them to the floor. He was right, there was no other sound than the faint dull throb of the air conditioner. Finnick's body crouches across from mine. I can't help it but feel so close to him when I look up into his bright green orbs. There's something inside of me that wants to apologize for my breakdown, but the other sees that he wants to make that burden as little as possible.

"It's alright, Annie. I promise, it's over," he repeats for the millionth time. It seems he says that every day now. His eyes now search around us, nervously, though I don't know why. Finnick pulls ourselves to our feet, and I realize my clothes are identical to his own. Probably unisex clothes, I tell myself.

All I want to do at the moment is bury my face into his chest, and forget our surroundings. "Come on, let's go," I finally say.

"To our room," he adds.

"Our room?" I repeat. For some reason I liked the sound of that. All Finnick replied was with a grin off into the air somewhere between us and the elevator doors, which stood at the end of the hallway. Finnick's grasp tightened around my waist as we entered the elevator shaft.

The feeling of my knees compressing gave me the notion that we were going to higher floor levels. My ears popped once, along with the elevator doors sliding into the walls. A sign bolted on the nearby wall said, "Compartment 307", then under it had an arrow to the right.

Finnick never broke pace when he guided our bodies to the right and straight to the sixth door on the left. Shoving his hand into his pocket, he takes a key and plugs it into the key hole, unlocking the door.

The room wasn't small, but to be correct, it wasn't large. It was'nt as spacious as the training center rooms, but close to the size of my room in the Victor's Village, with a queen sized bed placed in the middle on the far wall. It would be too large, too empty, for just one person, but just the right amount of space for two people.

"It was quite lonely, without you," he began, leading me into the room. A wardrobe covered the wall to our right, along with a desk. On the left was there was a door, probably leading to the bathroom. "But now this place is just as much as yours as it is mine. Why don't you check out the wardrobe, it has all your clothes in them. Well, and also mine too. Your clothes are on the left side."

His fingers locked into my left hand and I opened the middle left drawer with my right. On top of the clothes laid a small net, made so poorly as if a child had made it. Of course, because a child had made it, over ten years ago. It was the same net Finnick had made right before his first games, in a bet between him and I over the difficulties of net making.. Obviously I had lost, because Finnick had managed to make it. In return, Finnick taught me how to swim, but that wasn't until he had arrived back after the games.