Chapter 7: First Night

Chapter 7 [Finnick's P.O.V.]

My light becomes limited and I realized the down side to not having an ally. No protection while sleeping, I was vulnerable. I hadn't thought this deep into my quick decision before ditching Willa. There were no bushes to sleep in and the trees had no footing to climb, I couldn't bear sleeping on the ground where any tribute or career could stumble apron me. But my legs ached, I couldn't stand any longer.

While sitting feet in the flowing river, which stream ran away from the cornucopia, I laid my weapons next to my lap. I examen what's in my bag: a blanket, enormous packs of food, a first aid kit, jug with no water. I filled the container with water from the riverMy senses must be off because I didn't even hear her until she spoke.

"Hey Finnick." I recognized the light voice in an instant. Willa was ahead of me, eyes glowed bright in the night jungle. "Did you get any good stuff?" She held out her bag. Obviously she didn't realize that I had tried to ditch her. The alliance was still on. I hesitate for a moment then spoke.

"Yeah." I paused. "How about we set up camp," I suggest.

"Okay! Good idea," says Willa. She turned around and started to walk, leaving her back unprotected. I could kill her right now, but that would cut the benefits of my sleep. And that was needed. It was pointless to kill her now. Her pony tail bounced up and down her back. Her body moved in cherish ways as if her life was complete by just being here.

Abruptly, she stopped and turn to me saying, "We won't be able to sleep hidden. We'll have to take shifts."

"Okay," I looked down at my spear. "I'll take the first shift you sleep" I wanted to be able to be awake first. If she trusted me I could do the same.

Willa agreed to sleep first. I sat down with my bag by my side and spear in hand. Willa laid beside me and put down her bag next to her head. My arm flew to it in curiosity.

"May I?" I asked.

"Go ahead. If you see anything good wake me" She said before laying her head back down. I pulled the bag into my lap and looked around us. I had no light source. I zipped open Willa's larger bag and unloaded it. A sleeping bag, a thermostat, a bag of crackers and dry food, rope, and gloves. The temperature was dropping and I wish there was another pair.

The Capitol anthem played from somewhere in the sky. Between the think coverage of the jungle trees I spotted the glowing Capitol seal. Twelve faces were featured. I sadly said a prayer in their names. Then the Capitol seal appeared again and back it was again to the silence.

"Hey Willa," I whispered. She wasnt asleep. She had been watching me the whole time. "Here," I said while passing her the sleeping bag. She rolled around on the ground and back into the bag. Just as she was rolling pink flesh caught my attention.

"Woah, woah, wait." She freezed until my hand reached her a wound that ripped down her shoulder and winced in pain. "Why didn't you show me Willa?!" It had been hours since the blood bath, and I still could see blood. "Stay still." I leaned back and pulled out the first aid kit from my bag. A huge bandage sat at the top. "Take off your jacket and roll up your sleeve." She hesitated but took it off.

Her shoulder spazzed as the cloth rubbed up against it. And her body continued to shake with the temperature around us so low. We had a disadvantage, being from district 4. This was a jungle and we were cold. We rarely dealt with temperatures under the 50's.

With dim light I stuck the bandage on her shoulder. In the morning we'll have to clean it. No time now. It was too dark, too risky. "Just put you jacket on your other side. Take these gloves." I tossed the gloves into her lap. She put them on, and slowly and painfully laid back down. I don't know when or how but sometime in the middle of her sleep her head rested in my lap. I knew the cameras we on us.

I hope Annie doesn't think of it in the wrong way.

Fear wasn't the thing that bothered me, it was silence. Silence that made me wish the bloodbath was here again. Silence that made me more scared than any challenge I'll face in the arena. Silence that made me want to be anywhere but here. It was a sinister silence, like anything could jump out of the trees in front of you and take your life in an instant.

I realized I never told Willa when or how I'd know when to switch off, with no telling of time. If I saw light I'd be cutting myself out of time for me to sleep. And I didn't want to cut Willa out of time for her sleep.

Instead to past time before my eye lids fell down permanently by imagining the ones who are dead in my head: Both from 3, the girl from 5, both from 6 & 7, the boy from 8, and both from 11,&12. They were all gone. Was it the boy that wore the miners suit in the chariot ride really gone? Was it the girl who's big brown eyes that stared at me in training really never going to blink again? My eyes drooped again. I had been here a while. Sleep would benefit me.

I placed my fingers down the side of Willa's head and moved it from side to side. "Wha..."

"Can I sleep now?" I didn't even need to hear her answer. I was already closing my eyes and could barely grasp her word... "Yeah"

[Annie's P.O.V.]

I fumbled with the power switch to the small projector in my house. It flickered and brought lite to my small house. I had left the town square when peacekeepers forced the big tv to shut off and everyone to go home. I picked up when Willa went to bed. I grabbed a sheet from my room and laid on the ground curled up and watched with sleepy eyes.

"Can I sleep now?" His words created new energy in my body.

"Yeah." Those were the only words for a while. My eyes closed and I realized later that I was asleep. My eyes watched the wall where the holograph showed. I remember part of the bloodbath: Another tribute ran, as the career pack was close behind. Caught him, killed him- I closed my eyes when they did. The cannon had sounded like it was in the town center.

I knew my family was asleep. And I hoped that my parents wouldn't make me go to bed. I didn't care how long I stood up. Sure enough, I heard my moms footsteps. I curled up, as if I was asleep, where my head could still see the tv in case she decided to stay for a while

"Annie," she walked in and squinted in the light. "You should get some sleep." I wasn't fooling her. She knew I was awake. I opened my eyes and led them towards the ground. Light shined off my tears on my face.

"Oh Annie," she whimpered. She sat down next to me and stroked my head. I could tell what she saw: her hopeless daughter crying, clinging on to no hope that her best friend would come back. The thought made me burst out in tears again. "Annie, I'm sorry this has happened..." I didn't reply. I just let the tears stream by.

__________________________

I hope that was good :) please vote if you liked it!

-Lauren

Edited 3/20/14