Chapter 23: Sugarcube?

Chapter 23: [Annie's P.O.V.]

The prep teams take Finnick and Mags away from me. This is different, I never pay attention when the tributes are dressed up by the prep team, I never miss them, it never feels so long.

This time it felt like an eternity.

After I judge should be enough time, I slowly tap on the door to Finnick's room, the door slightly moving with each tap.

"We're ready," a mans voice, I assume as Finnick's stylist, through the wall. I push the door to get a real look around the room, searching for Finnick.

His stylist sits on a blue double couch, hands behind his head and legs sprawled out laying fully on the couch. I pan the rest of the room, Finnick isn't in any visible corner, but I see his elbow jet out from behind the privacy screen.

At first as Finnick steps out, I thought he was naked. My eyes fall down his body and proves he isn't totally naked, he wears a fabric that imitates a golden net, and it wraps around his groin like a small swim suit. His bronze hair and tanned body match very well. A small smile spreads across my face, along with a giggle.

It almost looks silly to me, he is too old to be playing dress up. I can never forget his first games, dressed in a greek outfit. My eyes look back up to his before snorting, "Is this what they're going with?"

His eyes have been watching me trail up him, he's already grinning. He starts walking towards me.

He grabs my sides and spins me around, so my back is to him, and pulls himself up to my back.

My smile drops and I look to the floor. He will be gone soon, I think to myself.

I am fully aware of the lack of clothing on Finnick, and the rest of his body that holds me tight against his. His lips press up against the side of my head.

The corner of my mouth raises into a small light smile as I catch sight of us in the mirror. Finnick can't die. I don't want to live a life without him. I close my eyes and suck in a deep breath through my nose.

"We might want to get out there, maybe we can get talking to the other Victors," he mumbles against my ear, slowly releasing me.

[Finnick's P.O.V.]

I take Annie's hand and lock our fingers together and make our way out of the Remake center. As I walk the air chills my chest, I've never been this exposed and walking around so freely in the Capitol, but I walk the way I need to play out.

The Victors have only started to gather. I lead Annie to district four's chariot, a golden chariot that matches the shade of my net. Mags is already there, petting the horses and lowly speaking to them, dressed in a matching cape that flows like a gown down her body.

Annie gladly walks with me to her. She's petting the first horse, a pile of sugar cubes are resting in her other hand.

"Uhm... Where did you get that?" I ask.

She turns to the far wall, gesturing to a bucket of sugar cubes. A slow chuckle breaks through my lips.

"So you see a bucket of sugar cubes, just on the floor and the first thing you do is eat them?"

Mags' face brightens up with a satisfactory smile and a nod. "You do know they are for the horses, right?"

Mags' smile widens and she leans closer, so Annie can't hear. "They have forever to eat this stuff. We don't."

I struggle to keep the same face as I did before, knowing others would be watching my face. But it's shockingly true. It only reminds me of the plan that was formed the moment the Quell was announced. Shivers crawled up my back and I reminded myself that right now, no one should act as if they know about it. Only a few other Victors are in the know, and as long as I pretend I don't know, the better my acting will be. Annie isn't among those Victors.