Chapter 14: Annie's Reaping

Chapter 14 [Annie's P.O.V.]

1 week. It seems outrageous. He hadn't come back. What would be so important that he wouldn't come back? Not even once? He's probably turned into one of those busy famous victors that spend all of their time in the Capitol. I should just realize that he had no interest in me and ran off to one of those fancy Capitol girls. Why can't I realize that he moved on instead of hurting myself with some silly hope? Hope. It ruins me. Its just a painful reminder of something you wish you could change.

2 weeks. I've decided Finnick has found a more interesting girl than me. I don't understand why I keep coming back to the beach. Useless. I have nothing to look forward to. I squeeze my eyes shut and force the tears that were filling in my eyes to spill out. I lay my arms on my knees and burry my head into them. I feel weak. Tired. So tired that I don't even bother to get up. I let out a sigh and let my body slump.

"Annie!" Its Finnick's voice. I spin my head around. Finnick runs towards me, smiling ear to ear. I can notice his smile drop as he sees my eyes, red with stress and crying. His eyes drop and I can feel his heart drop. He wears a fancy button up plaid shirt with long blue pant. His hair is jelled. He didn't leave District Four looking like that.

What surprised me more than his new appearance is that I don't make an effort to get up. I don't know why. My body almost knows that he hasn't come for so long and makes the decision for myself. I try to throw as much emotion into my stare into his eyes and turn my head around hoping that explains all I've been thinking.

He walked closer and sat down with his body facing towards me. With his head is leaned forward and chin brushing my shoulder, he whispered, "Annie."

I shook my head. I am an after-thought. "Annie," he whispered my name again, then grabbed a strand of my hair. "Please," he begged for my attention.

I back up and turn to look at him. His eyes seemed to be doing the apologizing. I raised my hand and slapped his shoulder while screaming "What the hell took you so long, Finn?" I spat his name. As I see the hurt in his eyes I immediately shrug, maybe I was too mean.

"I didn't plan on it. You know I wouldn't leave you if it wasn't mandatory," he explained.

"Then what is mandatory, Finn? You've been gone for so long. Why couldn't you spare a day to come by?" My voice sounded more upset than I felt at the moment. I wish my voice didn't hold all the emotions I've kept these past weeks.

He looks down into his palm, face turning the shade of salmon. "President Snow had me meet some fans in the Capitol," he says as if putting thought into his words. I can tell in his voice that there's something else to it. I turn to look out at the waves again. I don't know what to say. So I don't say anything at all. We are far from the two people who would make bets about everything in a joking manner. A question burned in my mind.

"So... I'm guessing that you'll have to leave sooner or later again." He scooted forward and wrapped his arms around me. He rested his head on my shoulder and said, "I hope not."

We sat there silently. I closed my eyes and listened to his breaths. Finnick isn't the boy that was splashing around three weeks ago. He seemed stressed, nervous, but mostly stressed. He appeared to be like a balloon that was floating away into the atmosphere, too far away to reach, and could pop at any second. All I could do was watch him as the distance between us grew. I wish he would only tell me what was going on. His appearance just verifies that he's turning into one of those celebrity victors. "Finnick, they're changing you," I dare to say.

He didn't reply. I spoke again, "Please don't leave again."

He sighed, let go of me and rested his arms on his knees. "I'm not sure that's my choice, Annie."