Chapter 18: The Careers

Chapter 18 [Annie's P.O.V.]

Blood. I know there will be lots of it. Pain. That is inevitable. I stand up out of bed, so nervous I'm unable to stand without the floor spinning.

At breakfast I, unlike expected, do not eat a big meal like the other careers would probably have. My stomach turns and I feel if I put anything unnecessary in it I will throw up. I force down eggs and put my napkin down. I know I will regret not eating much later, but I have already settled that I don't have a chance.

I wear a black t-shirt, and black loose pants that reach just above my knees and a thick cotton jacket. There could be many possibilities to what arena could be ahead. My hair is pulled up in a pony-tail.

I look at Daniel at the table. Our eyes meet and we can see the fear in each others eyes. I quickly look down.

After breakfast, a mentor and Daniel go down the elevator. Finnick and I wait for a moment before doing the same. Once the elevator doors closes, Finnick turns to me and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Annie. I want you to promise you'll listen to me okay?" I stare back at him making no promise. What could be so bad? He turns around and throws his fists on the wall of the elevator in frustration. The sudden calmness he had is gone. I back up, scared of his fast movements.

The next time he speaks I can hear how upset he is. "I don't know what I would do with myself if you were gone."

Unable to muster up any words or comfort I walk closer and lay one hand on his back. "I'm sorry" I whisper.

He turns away from the wall and looks into my eyes. "Promise me Annie? That you'll do what I tell you"

"Yes"

"I contacted the mentors from one and two. You and Daniel will stay with them. You have to trust them, okay? I want you to go along with them." I pull my hand back and shout back with fear and confusion. There is no way I will team up with them.

"No!" I begin walking backwards. I couldn't believe he did this to me. "Why would you do that? Finn, you know you can't trust the careers. They want to live as much as I do."

Finnick stretches out his arm. I brush it away. "Annie. I couldn't risk the possibility of you not making it. Please trust them. I need you to. Daniel is okay with it." He reaches out and holds my face, which tears have already fallen soaked the skin. I don't make an effort to break free. Maybe I should just go with it. He did it to make sure I live, we both knew I didn't have the drive to kill.

"Annie, you promise?" I avoid making eye contact unsure of how I should be acting. It's kinda hard when he's holding my face. He shakes my chin. I look into his eyes.

"Okay" He closes his eyes and sighs. I stand there looking deeply at his face features. This will probably be, despite his attempt to pair me with the careers, the last time together. He's deep in his thoughts.

For the first time I'm the one to make the first move. I close my eyes and shift myself so my lips cant touch his. I catch him off guard but he gladly kisses back, full of energy. His hands run up my face. I let my arms fall down his back and wrap them around his hips, locking him in a hug. He steps forward. I take another step back. We walk back into the elevator wall. His hands run down my neck. I pull my lips back.

"I don't want that to be a goodbye kiss." I stare into his sea-green eyes. Melancholy is lingering on his face.

"Don't you worry, Annie." He gives me one last hug and I get on the plane.

⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘

⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘