][ II ][

My head throbbed as I came to, my hazy sight returning to normal as I blinked rapidly a few times. It was cold and the air was dry. I was laying against freezing, hard ground. Propping myself up on my elbow, I looked around me but saw nothing. It was dark, too dark. The little window that I noticed above my head showed inky blackness of the night outside. I didn't know where I was but I recalled the girl with the curious eyes and the tiny, but strong, hold. I remember being dragged across the little building I had took shelter in, and then across damp earth and down a set of brutal stairs.

She had seen me. She had seen me fully - my wings, my unnatural eyes - my unnatural blood. I had to leave.

I groaned as I lifted my sore body upright. My right hand was bruising a ugly bright yellow colour because of my golden blood. A purple jacket was tied around my waist, barely covering what was underneath it. I stood up to my towering height and looked all around the frigid room I was put inside. Did the girl think she could trap me? Did she think she had some responsibility over me - just because she found me?

I shook my head to clear my nagging thoughts away. I clutched my back, an instant and sharp pain ringing down my spine from the two points where my wings had once protruded from. My flesh had become torn and raw from ripping open to allow my wings to be free. I winced as my fingers came in contact with the soft, torn skin, but I started to walk in a random direction in the room I was held in, hoping to find the door out. I didn't need to walk far because as soon as I took a few steps forward, I saw them - the concrete steps that led me to the wooden door.

Gingerly, I made me way up, the purple jacket slipping down my waist a few times. I pushed the firm doors wide open, allowing a gust of cool air hit my burning body. I sighed and walked outside, closing the doors quietly behind me. The atmosphere outside was dark, cold, mysterious and silent. I took a deep breath and began to walk towards the woods I remembered I crashed through. My bare feet came into contact with my blood, smeared here and there across the packed earth, looking unnatural, like golden paint. I reached behind my back and gently touched my fingers to the wounds on my back, seeing that I was no longer bleeding. Good, I didn't need to leave a trail for the girl so she could come looking for me.

I walked around the dim lighted house, glancing up at it and sensing that the inhabitants inside were fast asleep. Nevertheless, I still made my way over to the edge of the forest as quietly as I could. Gripping the jacket around my waist, looking back once at the shed that provided me shelter for a few moments, I turned back to the looming, mysterious trees and stepped into their dark embrace.

I crashed through the trees, startling night animals. The moon, which had risen higher in the dark, sparkling sky, lighted the way for me through the branches of the dying trees. I knew I was getting nowhere closer to that little lake I had fallen in; the little lake where I had been cast down into.

Sighing heavily in exasperation, I sat down on the cold ground, letting my head fall into my hands in despair. I felt useless and frustrated and in pain. I decided to give it a rest and sat up against a tree, gazing up at the pale moon which looked liked it was broken into pieces by the skeleton branches. I stared at it, its white light casting glows and dark shadows everywhere around me. It mocked me. It mocked me from where it rested, high in the heavens while I despaired down here, on this frigid planet, surrounded by humans. I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

. : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : .

When I opened my eyes again, the moon was no longer in the sky, yet the stars still faintly sparkled. Rosy streaks of pink, violet and orange streaked the sky from the east, telling me the sun was just beginning to rise. I blinked my tired eyes a few times before standing up. I looked around me and began to walk in a random direction, hoping that it would lead me to my destination.

My back was aching and my ragged flesh was more ragged and torn from rubbing against the rough trunk of the tree I had leaned against all night. I continued walking without caring nonetheless. My hair stuck out in every way, tangled and damp with the morning dew and my sweat. The brush around me started to spread out a bit, the trees grew closer together though. Curious as to where I had led myself, I walked faster, craning my neck to see around a tree. Suddenly, my bare foot landed not on dirt covered earth, but hard, freezing asphalt. I looked down at my pale foot on the dark ground, confused. I looked down the road both ways, checking for any vehicles. There were none so I began to walk across the road, faintly remembering crashing through a 'hard floored clearing' in the middle of the night last night. I'm guessing I had walked across this road thinking it was a clearing in the forest. You couldn't blame me though, I was hazy and almost drunk-like last night after the long, painful and horrid fall.

I had just made it to the middle of the road when a sudden revving noise coming from the west side of the unending road, perked my ears. I snapped my gaze toward it, and before I could react, a roaring navy blue truck came into view, coming at me quickly. The person inside screamed and slammed on the brakes. I was struck frozen with uncertainness and shock. Of course I could have simply pushed the truck away from me with my strength, but I was unsure of whether or not I should use it and alarm the human inside even more. After all, one human already knew about me.

The truck came to a screeching halt - not before hitting me of course. I internally bullied myself for not moving out of the way before or not doing anything at all, for that matter.

My body flew upward, landing harshly on the hood of the massive truck before rolling off and in front the car. I groaned and held onto my hand which had been brutally crushed against my body and now the asphalt, bleeding a thin trail of golden from the scratch wound. My back was a whole other story.

The human inside came running out, his black boots coming to a stop in front of my face.

"Oh, hell no. . ." The human - which I learned was a girl - whispered in shock. Did she see my golden blood? Or was she freaking out over the fact I was mostly naked? Or was it simply because she hit me?

I let my gaze slowly travel up her blue jeans, and to her face. My jaw went slack. Gazing down at me with her small hands held up against her open mouth was the same girl that had dragged me down to her cellar.

I groaned, more out of frustration and annoyance (I'm sure she could tell) than in pain. Why was He trying to torture me so much?

++++++++++

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote! I'd really appreciate feedback on how to make this story better as well! :)

Keep reading to follow up on Rachel's and poor Angel Boy's story! ;)