Chapter 16: My name isn't Piper

James' POV:

"You...you don't remember me?" I asked quietly, trying not to let the tears fall.

"I'm sorry. Was I supposed to?" She asked softly. "No, no. Don't apologise, let me call the doctor." I responded, even though my heart was racing and I'm pretty sure, I was sweating.

Is she going to live the rest of her life without remembering me? Oh gosh, what am I going to do if my baby sister doesn't remember me or all the memories we shared.

"Doc! Doctor Hayes! Come quick!" I shouted as doctor Hayes and some other nurses ran into the room. At the sight of Piper being awake, doctor Hayes beamed at her before smiling at me.

"I told you that a little faith would go all the way." He said as I smiled before remembering the problem. "But...but she doesn't remember me." I replied as he turned to look at Piper, who was busy talking to the nurse.

"We'll have to do a few tests to see what the problem is." He informed me before walking over to my sister. 10 minutes later, he came up to me with Piper's test results.

"Okay, so it's nothing short of a miracle that your sister is awake, however it seems that she has got a case of dissociative amnesia. This is pretty common and it basically means that she has lost some of her memory. The memory she has lost could be about people, family and friends and it could be personal information as well. Judging by the tests we have ran she has lost a lot of her memory, including her name.

Most tend to get their memory back within some time whereas others can go through life, never getting their memory back. So don't lose hope, just talk to her gently, don't force her to remember anything or it could cause a setback and just try reliving some memories with her." He explained as I nodded.

I was just overjoyed that she was alive. "Thank you so much, doctor Hayes." I responded, sticking out my hand as he shook it. "No problem, James." He replied before leaving to go over Piper's charts.

As he left, Riley walked in with a coffee. "Sorry I took so long Jay, the queue was awful. Anyways, can I say goodbye to Piper? I wish she would wake-" She said, rambling before setting her eyes on Piper who was looking at her curiously.

"Piper?! You're awake?! Thank God, thank God, thank God! I missed you so much!" She squealed, pulling Piper in for a hug. Piper looked at the nurse with a confused expression as I tugged Riley back, gently.

"Ri, Ri. The doctor says she has a case of dissociative amnesia; she remembers nothing, not even her own name. There's a chance she'll get her memory back and there's a chance that she won't." I explained to her as she sat down with a dimmed smile on her face.

"At least she's alive. A troupe will be happy too." She said optimistically as I nodded and smiled too.

"I can't believe we have to say goodbye. It's just not fair." I heard Noah's voice say. "I know right? I'm going to miss her so much." I heard another voice, Jacquie, say.

Riley and I gave each other looks and she nodded before getting up to go and talk to the team. "Guys, guys! She's awake. You don't need to say goodbye anymore, she's awake." Riley started off, as shouts and squeals were heard.

"She's really awake?!" Amy asked, excitedly. "Well yes but-" Riley tried but it was too late. Amy and A troupe burst open the door as they stormed inside, looking at Piper with tears of relief.

"Piper!" Amy shouted out with glee, but Piper kept on talking to the nurse. "Piper? Pipes?" She asked, all of them looking at her, as Riley mouthed "sorry" to me as I chuckled.

"Piper?" Amy softly asked again, as Piper finally looked up. I watched in hopefulness, that maybe she might recognise Amy or someone on A troupe.

"Oh, I think that lady is talking to you." She whispered loudly to the nurse. "Oh honey. My name is Josephine, your name is Piper." The nurse stated as she smiled, as A troupe watched on in shock.

"My name isn't Piper, it's.... it's... oh, I can't remember." She muttered sadly as the nurse patted her shoulder. "It's alright. You'll remember soon." She said warmly as they went back to looking at the chart.

"Wha...how...I...what?!" Amy blurted out, turning back to face me. "What Ri was trying to tell you guys is that she's got dissociative amnesia and can't remember anything or anyone." I explained as they nodded in understanding.

"She doesn't remember any of us?" Richelle asked softly as I nodded. "We just have to support her and maybe relive some memories. It might help to speed things up." I said as everyone nodded. We sat in a comfortable silence until Lily walked up to Piper.

She slowly walked up to her, and stood in front of her as Piper looked at her in curiosity. "Do you maybe remember me?" Lily asked gently.

"No, I'm sorry. I can't recognise any one of you. Although you all have pretty hair." She replied softly, as we all smiled and laughed.

Just then, the door opened and in came my dad and brothers. A troupe knew what had gone down between Piper and them so they fixed them with deadly glares, as my dad cleared his throat and walked in.

"Um, hi Piper." He said, gingerly, as Piper smiled at him. "Hello. Who are you? Are you a friend too? Look at how many I've got now! Including you, nurse Josephine." She said with a large smile, as the nurse laughed.

"I'm your dad." He replied gently. "Wow, I've never had a dad before. I think. I don't really remember. What about my mum, where is she? Is she coming next?" Piper asked excitedly as everyone sucked in a deep breath.

"Um, Pipes, our mum passed away when you were a baby." I explained slowly as she frowned. "Oh, that's sad." She mumbled.

"Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Who are you guys?" She asked, directing her question to all of A troupe. "We're your best friends from A troupe." Ozzy replied softly, as she frowned again.

"What's an A troupe?" She asked. "You're a dancer, remember?" Finn reminded her, gently as she shook her head and we all sighed sadly.

If we wanted her to get her memory back, we needed to do something and do something fast.

If we don't, then she'll live the rest of her life, forgetting all about her family and friends...

》》》

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you in the next one! Let me know your thoughts in the comments!