Chapter 19: Hiding something

Piper's POV:

After going through all the memories I couldn't believe that I had forgotten, I pulled my knees up to my chest and buried my head in them, a smile on my face.

Some few minutes later, James and Riley walked in with coffees and I looked up in excitement. "Hey Pipes. Why aren't you sleeping?" James asked as he sat down.

"No reason, just wasn't tired." I replied happily as I wondered how to tell them. Should I just say that I've got my memory back? Or should I surprise them?

"You seem really happy, what's going on?" Riley said, cutting off my chain of thoughts. "Oh it's nothing, I just feel happy." I replied with a shrug.

"James, what happened with your tour? I never got to ask. Are they still performing just without you or what?" I asked curiously, waiting to see if James would pick up on the fact that I remember. "Well, Ontario was out last stop, so they would've done the last few performances without me." He responded as I nodded.

James nor Riley had figured out that I got my memory back, so I just decided to keep relaying memories until one of them picked up on it. "How's Luke and Theo doing? They were always my favourite babysitters after West of course." I stated casually with a small smile.

"They're fine, they miss you a lot though. You wouldn't remember them, y'know... because of your..." James started as he paused, thinking things over.

Using that as an advantage, I turned to Riley. "Ri, are we still going to have our girl nights because I have way too much nail polish to spare." I said, as James and Riley's mouths dropped. "No way." Riley said excitedly. "You really have your-" James started as I interrupted him.

"Yes!" I squealed happily, as they got up in excitement and hugged me. "How did this happen? When did it happen?" James asked, shocked. "In the middle of the night. I just somehow got my memories back! I don't even know how or why it happened." I exclaimed happily as we continued to chat.

Soon after, a doctor walked came in and gave me a check up. I was finally able to rest for a couple of hours before I got up and freshened up. I was laughing with James and Riley as A troupe walked in, sadly; I almost forgot that they had no idea that I had my memory back.

"Hey Pipes." Finn said as I smiled at waved at them. "So what are you guys up to?" Noah asked with a smile as they all made themselves comfortable. "Nothing, we were just talking." I replied casually.

"You know, ever since we started visiting you daily in hospital, Miss Angela's been surprisingly calm. She doesn't even shout as much." Jacquie said as I smiled.

"Do you guys still have to wear the 'uniform'?" I asked teasingly, as I knew that everybody hated the shirts that Angela forced everybody to wear.

"No. Thank goodness, I hated those shirts. Though I obviously made it work." Richelle stated smugly, as everyone groaned, playfully.

"Hey Richelle, have you been to Pizza Palace ever since I ended up in the hospital?" I asked her once everyone went back to their own conversations.

"No, it was our thing so it would've felt wrong to- wait, I never... told you about..." She started, as I grinned at her and she gasped excitedly, Riley and James laughing at her expression.

"Guys. Guys! Everyone, shut up!" Richelle yelled, catching their attention, as they turned to look at her. "Wait, can you really remember us? You can remember everything and everyone?" She asked hopefully as everyone gasped in shock.

"Yup, I remember convincing you guys to forgive Lily, breaking up arguments between you and Jacquie, trying out assorted drinks from Shakes and Ladders with Finn, going to Kenzie's cheerleading game, going shopping for seasonal candles with Summer and everything that has happened before that!" I listed proudly.

"I have my best friend back!" Amy squealed, giving me a bone crushing hug. Everyone else followed suit, giving me hugs excitedly as I laughed. After being asked 'what', 'how', 'when' and 'are you okay' a thousand times, we all settled down and just caught up.

They all filled me in with what was happening at the studio and how they overheard Angela talking about how she felt like she wanted to quit, and James filled me in with what was happening at home. I still remembered what my dad and brothers had said to me and I was not ready to forgive them yet.

After many hours of check ups and tests, I was finally discharged. Going home felt strange because I didn't know what I would say to my dad and brothers.

As soon as we stepped out from James's car, my dad and brothers threw open the door, happily, but my dad looked tense and almost frustrated. I stared blankly at them before they coughed awkwardly and moved out of the way.

"Listen Piper, we're really sorry, for everything. I know you won't forgive us just yet but please think about it. We're really truly sorry, though." My dad said, apologetically as I nodded slowly.

I looked into my dad's eyes to see if he was honestly sorry but he just avoided my gaze at all costs.

That was weird.

James and I made eye contact and simultaneously looked back at my dad, who continued to stare at the floor- now I feel like he's hiding something and I'm going to find out what it is.

》》》

"Do you think dad's hiding something?" I asked James, who was laying on my bed and scrolling through his phone.

"Yeah, he's been acting really strange. I think he's definitely hiding something 'cus lately, when he gets a phone call, he always goes into his room and locks the door." James replied, looking at me as I nodded slowly.

What could my dad be hiding? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen my dad on the phone, he always walks out of the room. I just thought it was because he didn't want to be near me but now...

"Why don't we eavesdrop on his next conversation? He's probably on the phone right now." James suggested as I instantly agreed, though eavesdropping is wrong.

I was curious to see what we could find out but what we heard next was definitely not something I was prepared for.

James hushed me when I told him to hurry up as we tiptoed along the corridor, stopping just outside of my dad's locked bedroom. James was right, he was on the phone.

"Hey Anne." I heard my dad say on the phone as James gave me a look. Who the heck is Anne? Is dad seeing someone? We both shrugged before pressing our ears to the door.

"Listen, I don't know how much longer I can keep up with this. The kids are gonna find out soon, I just know it. I feel like they're already on to me." My dad said, panicked.

Find out what? He makes it sound like he's done something really bad.

"I have a feeling that they're gonna find out that Deborah didn't die during childbirth." He hissed as James and I gasped slightly.

Wait, what? If mum didn't die during childbirth, then how...?

"They're gonna find out soon that you and I killed her."