Chapter 18: Remember me

Piper's POV:

As I was about to sleep, I felt James smoothen out my hair. "I love you Pipes, and if you can't remember anything at all, just remember that." He said as I smiled at his statement and finally drifted off.

As I slept, a dull aching pain spread throughout my head but I just tried to sleep it off. The pain progressed as I massaged my forehead to make it go away, but it wouldn't.

Eventually, it began to feel like someone was hitting me on the head with a hammer and I was groaning in agony.

I looked around the empty room, darkness surrounding me, apart from the light in the hallway and I tried to get up to go and find a nurse, but as I sat up, my vision began to blur. Whether it was from the pain or my tears, I don't know.

I clutched my head, willing the pain to go away, when all of a sudden, it started to dull down, as some type of memory came back to me.

》》》

"James! Psst, James!" Piper whispered, opening James' bedroom door. "Are you awake? Jamessss!" The child whined, as the older boy groaned and huffed in annoyance.

"What, Pipes? I don't want to hear anymore stories about your barbie dolls! Go to bed." He groaned as he covered his head with his pillow.

"I can't sleep, it's really cold in my room. Can I sleep with you? Please?" The 6 year old asked as James groaned and opened his eyes slightly, before lifting the covers as the excited child jumped into the bed.

"Great, now go to bed." He mumbled, already drifting off. "Are you going to your studio tomorrow? I wish I could go too. I'm bored already, are you sleeping yet?" Piper asked curiously.

"Ugh, yes I am, Pipes. Stop asking so many questions, it's literally 2 in the morning, your hands and feet are freezing and you need your sleep 'cus you're the grumpiest morning person I know. So go to bed, please." James ranted, finishing it off with a yawn as Piper shrugged and eventually drifted off to sleep.

》》》

Multiple questions ran through my head at that random memory but they didn't stop there.

》》》

"Hi there! I'm Riley, your brother's girlfriend. Is he home?" The brunette asked kindly as the 8 year old smiled. "I'm Piper and he's gone to buy me ice cream!" Piper exclaimed as she grinned, showing off her missing front teeth.

"You can come in if you want to." Piper offered as she welcomed the lady into her empty house, ignoring every stranger danger lesson that James had taught her.

This lady reminded her of Beth, who used to come over a lot and play games with her; maybe this lady will be nice like that too.

"So what do you want to do then, Piper?" Riley asked as the girl picked up a large book. "I've been doing some colouring and drawing, you can join me if you like." Piper suggested as Riley smiled and lay down on the floor. The two girls talked and coloured as if they had known each other for years, until eventually, James came home.

"Oh, hey Ri! Piper, why is your favourite ice cream flavour so hard to find? I had to go to like 4 different stores to get it. Anyways, you ready for that date, Riley?" He said, as the two girls on the floor pouted.

"Aww, but we haven't finished our drawings." Riley protested, standing up reluctantly, as Piper agreed. "Okay, how about you and Piper have a playdate on Saturday or something?" James suggested as Piper ran to Riley and gave her a large hug.