Chapter 1: Sage (You)

You were chilling in your apartment when Willow your roommate burst in the room.

"Sage! You won't believe what Rita told me today!" Willow said as she jumped on the couch next to you.

"What did the town gossip tell you today?" You asked laughing.

"She said that Daisy, you know the realtor? Of course you know her. You're the one who met her when we bought this place. She went on a date! The buzz is that he's super hot." Willow said excitedly.

Willow had been your best friend, no sister since you were 16 years old. That's when you'd found her bruised and bloodied. She was so tiny and her light so dim. You couldn't even believe the difference and how far she'd come over the years. She was a bright and sunny wolf shifter who had a heart of gold.

"Wow. That's something." You said smiling.

"Love is in the air." Willow said dreamily.

"I'll do my best to avoid it. Lord knows it avoids me." You said sighing.

"That's because you aren't being patient. You need to find your mate. Then you'd never be alone again." Willow said firmly.

"Willow..." you said rolling your eyes.

"It's true and you know it." Willow protested.

It's not like you didn't believe in mates. You did. You just didn't think you'd be that lucky. You were normal even for shifter race. You were a panther shifter. Panther shifters by nature were loners. They didn't move in packs like wolves. Your parents raised you together until you were eighteen then immediately split from you and each other. They'd send you money or call. You'd always wanted a pack. A family. When your family found Willow, you got a taste for a family. When your family split Willow stayed with you. You'd made your own tiny family. It concerned your parents how attached you were to Willow, but then again they also sent Willow money and called her. They'd adopted the pup as their own. That was until she found a pack. She said you were all she needed but you knew her wolf needed more. You hoped a new pack would come through soon hopefully willing to take you both in.

You went to bed that night wondering about Daisy's mystery beau. You woke to a blaring alarm. You drug yourself from your bed, forced yourself to showers and get ready for work. You left your building and hopped in your car. You headed to the hospital where you worked as a nurse. You entered through the staff entrance. You dropped your crap at your locker and clocked in. You went up to ICU to begin work. You checked on each patient this morning. They all were at varying stages of healing from various types of ailments. There was an elder man named Nelson who had a really terrible case of pneumonia. He was one of your favorites. You went into his room. He was awake and eating his breakfast.

"Hey Nelson!" You said happily.

"Hey Sage! Morning sweetheart. How's your day?" He said smiling brightly.

"It's going ok. How we feeling today?" You asked looking over his information from last night.

"I'm alive." He said chuckling.

"That's better than the alternative." You said.

"True." He agreed.

You helped get his medication and made sure that he was comfortable.

"You really are the sweetest girl. Someday somebody is going to sweep you off your feet." He said as you were heading out the door.

"Well could you tell them to hurry up." You said jokingly.

"I'll work on it!" He called behind you.

You laughed as you left his room. You ran directly into someone.