Chapter 5: Sage

You called Willow on your break that night. The phone rang twice before she picked up.

"Hey? Everything ok?" Willow said sleepily.

"Yeah, I have something important to tell you. I need you to be awake so you can understand me."  You said firmly.

"Ok. Ok. I'm up. I'm awake." Her voice stronger than before.

"I found my mate." You said waiting.

"Excuse me?" Willow said sounding confused.

"My mate, Willow. I found him." You said again.

"Oh my... What is he like?" Willow asked softly.

You could tell she was getting nervous. She was starting to think you were going to abandon her like everyone else in her life had.

"Willow. He's a wolf. He has a pack. We will be better protected. His alpha seems like a good man. I promise to look further into the pack before making any decisions, but I know that they are good people. You will come with me into the pack. We are a package deal after all." You explained softly.

"Ok, Sage. I am happy for you. I trust you." She said sighing deeply.

"Go back to sleep. I'll see you tomorrow sometime." You said smiling.

"Ok. Love you." She said.

"Love you too." You answered and hung up the phone.

You leaned back on the staff room couch and rubbed your face. You were sure that Yoongi's pack was a good one. He and his alpha came to their friend's sick bed. They were genuinely concerned for his and his mate's well being. Then when the Luna was threatened they were quick to protect her. Not to mention they were protecting Ivy. You probably should've told Willow that Malcolm was back. He shouldn't bother you or her. There's no reason for him to without you joining the pack. Then you will become a problem. You were deep in thought when you heard someone clear their throat. You looked up and there was Dr. Hale.

"Hey, doc." You said nodding.

"Hey, Sage. I heard from Jin's brother that congratulations were in order. You found your mate." He said but he sounded weird.

"Oh. Yes. Thanks. It's interesting. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I'm excited, but nervous. He's very easy on the eyes. He seems to be a good man from a good pack." You said nervously.

"He is. He sent everyone who helped with Jin's care gift baskets, already. He just left. I really want to hate this guy. I do. But he seems like a good guy." He said looking at the ground.

"Doc?" You said confused.

"I have had the biggest crush on you since you walked into this hospital. You were everything I ever wanted in a woman. I thought maybe this is what the mating pull felt like, but then you looked at me with apathy. I knew then that I wasn't yours. I never would be. I tried though. But you held firm. Professional as always. You always were smarter than me. I just want you to be happy Sage. Even if that's not with me. I may be jealous but I'm not petty." He explained as he sighed.

"Thanks Zachary." You said standing and patting his shoulder.

"You said my name." He said quietly.

"Yep." You said as you walked away.

That was a lot of information to take in at the moment. You knew that he liked you. You didn't know the depth of those feelings or how he was willing to set them aside to make you happy. That was really something. Hale was a good man. You knew unrequited love didn't always go so well.