Chapter 5

I silently stand beside Portia as Ceasar Flickerman starts his show. I tune out of it as soon as he starts talking. My mind wanders over many things. My home, my family and the bakery. I hope my father and my brothers are alright. I miss them terribly. What will they think when the see me on television? Will they hate me as well? With all these thoughts in my mind, I almost missed Portia telling me to get ready to go on set. I take a deep breath and take one last look at Portia and my prep team.

"Good luck mate," Angus says. "Don't be afraid."

"Ha!I don't think I have ever been more afraid," I say as a weak attempt at a joke.

"Nonsense,Peeta," Portia chides. "Nothing is more frightening than a fear you cannot name. So really,this is not the worst that can happen."

Before I can reply, I am pushed onstage and usherd into a chair. Then someone is counting down from five and the camera start filming.

"Good evening once again, ladies and gentlemen," Ceasar Flickerman begins. "Today, I will be interviewing the victor of the 75th Hunger Games, Peeta Mellark. Hello Peeta."

Both Ceasar and the camera turn towards me.

"Good evening,Ceasar," I reply coolly.

"Now Peeta,there have been some rumours going around that Katniss had orders from the rebels to destroy the forcefield. Is this true?"

No, but it makes my blood boil.

"No! Katniss didn't know what she was doing. Neither of us did."

"I understand, Peeta. But the rebels have declared war on the Capitol. What do you have to say about this?"

I know that this is when I say something against District 13, against the rebels. But I just can't bring myself to do it. Instead, I just say the first thing that came to mind.

"I want everyone to stop and think for a second. What will be left of Panem if a war breaks out?"

"Are you calling for a ceasefire, Peeta?," Ceasar asks. I want to roll my eyes. Is he exagerating the situation, or just plain stupid?

"Yes, I am," I answer boldly. I can hear the call for my blood in District 13 already.

"Well, citizens of Panem, there you have it. Peeta Mellark is opposing the rebellion."

"No, Ceasar. I am not opposing the rebellion. I am opposing the killing of innocent people," I intervene. "The cost of killing an innocent human being is unimaginable."

"Yes," Ceasar muses. "It costs your own life."

"No. It costs everything you are."

"Everything you are," Ceasar echoes. "I'm afraid we have run out of time, but Peeta, it has been an extraordinary time. Thank you for your words." Without waiting for my response the camera turns away from me and Ceasar keeps talking. "Well, citizens of the Capitol, it seems as though we have a lot to think about. I wish you good night."

With those words said, someone calls "Cut!" and I barely have time to stand when a guard is escorting me off set. The President is waiting for me.

"Have I pleased you,sir?," I ask. Snow smiles his signature venomous smile. If smiles were postcards, his would say "Greetings from Panem,were snakes rule." The mere thought of snakes coming to the Capitol with resumes makes me shudder-and smile, of course.

"You certainly have a way with words, Peeta," Snow says. I snort but the President ignores me. "Frankly ,I did not expect such a moving speech. I am certain that the rebels are tongue-tied. For the moment, however, Hadrius will escort you back to your cell."

The guard leads me away roughly. I pass Angus, who gives me a reassuring nod. When I finally arrive at the cells the guard, Hadrius, decides to have some fun. He buries his fist into my stomach again and again. I hear my ribs crack. Then he punches me in the face. Only after that is he satisfied. He throws me into my cell and walks away laughing.

"Peeta?," Johanna's voice fills my head. I lie sprawled on the floor, but I turn my head in her direction. "How did it go?"

"Every rebel officially hates me," I inform her somewhat sarcastically. "I called for a ceasefire."

"Not every rebel," says the man in the cell across from Johanna. "I don't hate you."

"Neither do I," the other man chuckles. A bark of laughter escapes my lips. Well, at least we're positive.Johanna seems to mirror my thoughts, because she smirks. Our meals are brought in shortly after. I was expecting mouldy bread and muddy water. Surprisingly, we receive roast beef, potatoes and orange juice. Johanna stares at her plate suspiciously. One of the men takes a bite and smiles.

"I can get used to this," he comments blissfully. The guard rolls his eyes.

"This is just because he called for a ceasefire," he growls, pointing in my direction.

"He has a name," I say, irratated, but the guard has already gone.

"Relax and enjoy the food, Mellark. You'll probably be begging for mercy tomorrow," Johanna says. Annie whimpers. I sigh and try to do as she says. It turns out to be an easy task. We tell each other stories and jokes, tales and riddles. I learn that the man across from Johanna's cell is Brett, and the other is Neil. After a painstaking hour, I finally learn that the girl Avox's name is Lavinia. It turns out that Brett has three other brothers, who happen to be triplets. Neil is from District 10, and can do an amazing cowboy impersonation. Annie can sing beautifully. Johanna knows millions of folk tales. As for me, well, all I know is that when the guard called lights out, I fell asleep with a big smile on my face.