Chapter 26

Darius is gone. I find myself wishing that I am next. I look at my faded Mockingjay drawing. We sit in silence. Absolute silence. After a little while, I notice that no one has come to visit us. No Vince, no Hadrius. Hadrius, I can live without. Vince, not so much.
"I wonder what Finnick is doing now," Annie says softly.
"He misses you," I say hoarsely. "I bet he does."
Johanna gives me a strange look.
"They're going to come for us," Annie continues in that same, soft voice. "I know they will. They'll come for us and then, Peeta will be normal again."
I open my mouth to condradict her but no sound comes out.
"And Johanna," Annie whispers. "Will be her normal rude self again. She'll keep insulting Enobaria."
"I still hate you," Johanna tells Enobaria.
"Likewise," Enobaria hisses.
"They'll come for us," Annie repeats.

More time has passed. We've exchanged few words; Neil has tried to talk to me about baking, and Johanna and Enobaria threw insults at each other. Time wears on too slowly here. The lights turn off. Annie curls up, falling asleep instantly. Suddenly, we hear pounding footsteps. Vince bursts into the room
"Wake up," he whispers loudly.
"What's going on?" Neil asks.
"We don't have time-"
The door opens again. This time, it's Hadrius and the other guard.
"You!" Hadrius shouts. "You were with the rebels!"
"Not exactly," I hear Vince mutter. Hadrius lunges at Vince. The latter steps out of the way, grabbing Hadrius by the collar of his uniform shirt and throwing him back. Hadrius regains his balance, but before he can take out his gun Vince slams him into the wall. Hadrius collapses. Vince turns, only to find the other guard holding him at gunpoint.
"Marus," Vince says, holding up a hand. "You won't shoot me."
Marus scowls. Vince tries again.
"You said yourself that this wasn't fair. You said yourself that the Victors deserved better."
Marus lowers his weapon very slightly.
"The rebels aren't your friends, Vince," Marus says quietly.
"I know, I know," Vince says, glancing at me urgently. "But they're the only ones who can help the Victors."
Marus studies Vince for a few seconds and then lowers his weapon. I hear more footsteps.
"I'll distract the Peacekeepers," Marus says, running out the door. Vince makes to follow him. He looks back at us.
"I'll be just outside the door," he says. "Be ready to leave."
"What's going on?" Neil demands.
"The rebels are here," Vince answers grimly.

The rebels are here. My head pounds with this new information. Neil jumps up and grabs his bars. Johanna and Enobaria mirror his movements. I try to stand up, but I am too weak. Annie, who has woken up again, looks at me. I try to smile at her but I can't. I hear voices outside. One of them is Marus. The door opens and an object is thrown in. It starts to emit a sort of smoke.
"What's going on?" Neil demands. The white smoke reaches Enobaria first. She starts to cough and wheeze. She makes a final strangled sound and collapses on the floor. Johanna swears.
"Those bastards," he curses. The smoke now surrounds us all. I cover my mouth with my shirt. Annie collapses next to me.
"Annie!" my scream is muffled by my shirt. I turn to Vince. "Do something!"
But Vince is already running out the door. I bang on the bars in front of me.
"Where is he going?" Neil asks in between coughs. I can't see him, though. The smoke is too thick. My lungs can no longer function properly. The smoke...was starting to take effect. I sank to my knees and rocked back on my heels. Since when was the ground so soft? I cough, trying to breathe in. I. Need. To. Breathe. More coughing. Breathe. I feel strangely detached from my from my body. I don't even remember falling onto my back. Why is everything white? The smoke...I can't breathe.
I can't breathe.
I give into the darkness very willingly.