Epilogue

The first thing I notice is the humming. It is all around me. The humming of a machine. The next thing I notice is the material beneath me. It is most certainly not the cold hard floor. It it much more soft. Where am I? Then it all comes crashing back to me. The white smoke. I was knocked out. My eyelids are heavy, but I take a deep breath and open them slightly. I look around. Neil is fast asleep on the bunk next to mine. I look up and see a shape curled up on the bunk above me. I close my eyes. That's when I hear voices.

"I've told you," someone says angrily. Vince. "I don't care. I need to go back to the Capitol."

"Whose side are you on?" someone asks.

"I'm not on anyone's side, Boggs! Believe it or not, some of us actually don't want to fight in a war!"

"Look, when we arrive in District 13, you can talk to President Coin, and we'll-"

"And how long will that take?"

"Vince, I get it. I get your fears. But I can't do anything about it. I'm sorry."

Now that's one word I haven't heard in a long time. Sorry. Few people say it and actually mean it. Few people know its true meaning. I know I don't. My eyelids feel heavy again. I'm going to District 13. With every passing minute, I'm getting closer to her. Katniss Everdeen.