Chapter 4

I flinch when the doors open again. This time, new prisoners have arrived. There are four of them. I recognize the two Avoxes Darius and the girl. The other two men I don't recognize. The Avoxes are pushed into the same cell, right in front of mine. The men are in the cells on either side. The guard turns to leave, but then he stops at my cell.

"Well, well, well," he sneers."If it ain't the high an' mighty Peeta Mellark. You just wait, we'll get started with you soon enough."

I stare at him defiantly. When he leaves, I look at the new prisoners. Darius gives me a small wave. I smile at him.

"Are you Peeta?," asks one of the men. I nod.

"We're from 13," the man says. "We're rebels. I'm sorry you have to be here."

"Is anyone sorry that I'm here?," Johanna muses. The man chuckles quietly before falling silent. I close my eyes and try to imagine that I'm somewhere else with Katniss. Somewhere where Snow can't reach us.

When the doors open again, it's not a guard. It's not Snow. It's Portia. I jump to my feet in shock. Portia smiles sadly at me as a guard enters and unlocks my cell.

"Come, my boy. It is time for your interview," she says. She sounds like she's on the verge of tears. I walk towards her slowly. When I reach her I hug her warmly. The guard punches me to get me off of her. I'm vaguely aware of Portia shrieking something about my complexion. I stand up and assure her that I am okay. We leave the cells, escorted by the guard. Portia leads me to the same room where I always prepare for my interviews, where my old prep team is waiting. Lena bursts into tears when she sees me,and Angus pulls me into a brotherly hug.

While the stylists work their magic, I remain silent. The only thing I can think about is Katniss. She will see me for the first time since the Games, and instead of seeing a tortured boy at Snow's mercy, she will see a strong boy supporting Snow. The tragedy is enough to make me cry. When I look into the mirror, I see Snow coming towards me.

"Ah,our victor," the President says. "I hope you know what you will say, Peeta. Convince them. Make them...hate you. Make Katniss hate you."