1.

𝗘𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗹𝗲𝗺, 𝗡𝗲𝘄 𝗬𝗼𝗿𝗸
𝗣𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝗔𝗺𝗮𝗿𝘂 𝗖𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀

I walked towards the doors so I could leave the building. School was over and I had to hurry and get to the daycare center before they closed.

I know, why is the daycare closing at 3:15? It's not. I have to take 3 buses and a train to get all the way to Brooklyn to get my baby brother, Afeni and then do the same thing to get home. Why am I going so far? I have no choice.

That's the only cheap daycare that we could get with his voucher. Well, it ain't even a we forreal. It's just me and him, it's always been just me and him.

My mom was gone. Dead.

Giving birth to him was "rough" and she died on the table leaving us with my father who left him with me. He left us some money and jetted to his other family way in East Hampton.

He sent us money every two months so I just tried to make that work. We barely had enough money for food and soap and deodorant but I made it work, I had to.

I couldn't find a job ANYWHERE.

So, I was stuck with 500 dollars every two months.

I fell into someone knocking me out of my thoughts. I looked up and saw that it was the one boy who I disliked so much. He didn't know my story but he felt like he could make fun of me just because.

"Yo, you stink.." He said pushing me away.

I frowned at him.

I knew I didn't smell the best but the water was shut off so I had to wash up in a gas station bathroom with a half of water bottle that I found outside. I had to wash up in there because I was running a little late this morning and was extremely late for school.

"Leave me alone.." I said walking off.

I HATED my life so much. I was so tired of this shit.

I just wanted to get to the bag. I wanted to make some type of money, I was tired of this shit forreal. Me and Afeni was on our own. My father still paid the bills for us but he wasn't there in our lives at all, he wasn't showing up for us.

I just wish I had some type of money.

"Yo ma really don't take baths.." Another boy said as I walked past the group laughing. "I could never get up in the morning and come to school smelling like that.." He added.

I just wanted to get away from them. I didn't want to hear anything about my smell because I knew it was bad but there was NOTHING I could do, I barely even had money to feed my brother tonight and I could only buy the small bars of deodorant from the Dollar Store, they weren't efficient at all.

But don't get it fucked up, just because I'm stinky don't mean my little brother is. I don't mind being this way as long as I know my brother good. 500 dollars every two months is barely enough to take care of us both but I make it work as much as I can.

I wasn't able to afford to pay for expensive products like everyone else, Afeni got sick this month so I had to pay for medicine and then on top of that I had to pay all my late fees for him at the daycare or he would've got kicked out.

I'm guessing my father just forgot to pay the water bill but I'll have to call him and remind him as soon as I get near a pay phone after I got Afeni. I had some change to get me a call. I didn't have a phone, as you can see I can't afford it.

I walked towards the bus quickly and got onto it. I never missed the bus, I made sure not to. I had no more money to give to them for late fees, AT ALL.

Afeni was growing up fast. He was only two years old and needed new clothes everytime I turn around and I didn't care. I haven't had new clothes in two years and I didn't care at all, I didn't have enough money to take care of me. I only had enough for Afeni and that was cool.

I had enough for my essentials sometimes and that's why I have the smell because Right now, I don't have it. I have to feed Afeni tonight.

I sat at the back of the box to stay away from people. I didn't want to hear anything else about my smell, I was tired of smelling it myself so I knew how everyone else around me felt.

I just wanted to get to Afeni so I could get home.

-------

"Hello.." I said into the pay phone as I held Afeni on my hip.

"What's going on Parish? Didn't I tell you only call me on Wednesday's?" He asked, I huffed.

"I know but you didn't pay the water bill. This morning, I had to wash up with a half-drunken water bottle that I found outside.." I said fixing Afeni on my hip.

"My bad, I'm finna pay it. Ya'll good?" He asked.

"Yeah. Do you think you can send some more money next month? Afeni's running low on clothes that he can fit and I am too. And I need some more undergarments.." I explained.

"I can try. I don't know if I'ma have enough but I'ma try.." He said.

"Please try daddy, we really need it. We're barely making it out here.." I expressed. "And-and my cycle is coming and I don't think I'm going to have enough for pads and groceries and clothes and pampers.."

"I said I'ma try. Ok?" He said. "Call me on Wednesday.."

"Ok.." I said hanging the phone up. I hiked Afeni up on my hip and started making our way down the street towards home. As I fixed his jacket, I didn't even notice that someone was walking in front of me until I bumped into them, making them drop the a sandwich.

"Damn, watch out.." The guy said. "Stank ass bitch.." He added.

I stayed quiet and kept walking, I didn't have anything to say because he was right.

Hopefully my father actually pays to get the water turned back on, maybe I can shower tonight.

"Foo.." Afeni spoke, I looked at him.

"I know Feni, We gonna figure it out.." I said as I walked.

"Foo Pay!" He yelled, I huffed.

"Ok, I'm going to get us some. Just relax.." I said holding him close to me.

It was now dark and in Harlem, around this time it got dangerous for anyone who stayed here. I just wanted to get some food for my little brother and get home, I didn't want any trouble.

Even though, that's all East Harlem had to offer during night time.

----------

Hey!

New book, who dis? lol.

Anyway, I know ya'll are wondering her age but we gonna get into it while we getting into it next chapter! I always appreciate ya'll & the love ya'll give me.

So, Thoughts so far?

Assumptions?