12

Alana

Alana

I jumped when my front door slammed suddenly as I was texting Janet back. It made me look up from my couch and come face to face with Cameron. She didn't look happy and asked. "Are we gonna do this the easy way or the hard way?"

Gulping because I didn't even know we had a issue, I mumbled. "Easy?" I locked my phone without texting JJ back and instead sat it next to me.

"Okay then don't lie. Where you been these past two weeks?" She sat on the couch across from me.

"What do you mean? I've been at school and practice."

"And that's literally all you've been. You don't wait for JoJo after practice anymore. You don't eat lunch with us no more. You text back but never show up to the events. Yesterday was Alexis' birthday party. We'd all been talking about going for months. The house party. Remember? You went MIA. Didn't even show up. What's up with you?"

Yesterday was Friday and I had missed the party because Janet and I went and tried this new Mexican restaurant that had opened in uptown. The food was great and the company Janet provided made me forget all about the party and I wasn't about to ditch JJ for a fucking house party.

"Nothings up. I was here last night with Anita. Something had happened with her and Third and she was venting to me about it. I didn't wanna leave her."

Cam looked unconvinced. "Bitch who you think you foolin'?"

I hated lying but I couldn't tell her. "What do you mean? What I got to lie for?"

"I don't know, you tell me because yesterday after the party we passed by here to make sure you were straight. Didn't see you car and called Anita. She said you weren't even home." She stared at me but I had gotten caught up in that lie. Wasn't shit to say. "Alana, you stopped sharing your location in the circle. You've just switched up on us. This all started happening after Joelle told me you and Julian was beefing in the hallway. You back with that nigga?"

"What? Hell no!"

"So what's really up? Cause you haven't been much of a friend, yet alone a best friend. Joelle over here trynna cut you off and I'm trynna have a conversation with you so we can figure this out."

"I'm not with Julian, okay? I've just been busy with track and trying to pick my college. That's all. I swear."

My best friend nodded. "Alright. I'll tell JoJo that lie too. What's the truth bitch?"

Cameron could read me like a book but she wasn't about to get the full story. I refused. Looking into her eyes, I finally spoke. "Okay, I'm talking to someone."

She screamed. "OH I KNEW IT! Who?! Tell me everything. What's his name? He go to our school? Is that why you ditched the party?"

"Yeah. We went out to eat yesterday and I forgot all about the party."