98

Ayanna

Ayanna

I hurried into the house with Trena behind me. When I opened my door, I walked directly to the living room looking into the eyes of Madison and Anita. Silence built up like a brick wall as no one spared anyone any kind of words. They knew what type of time I was now on. I walked into my dining room and grabbed a chair, carrying it back into the living room and sitting it down. Trena sat on the sofa and I sat in the chair, locking eyes directly with Anita.

It was me who broke the silence, unhappy and frustrated. "Talk. And I mean don't leave out a damn thing."

My daughter took a breath before nodding. "Okay, let me just. I need to call Alana. Everyone needs to know."

"Devyn's on the phone." Madison told me softly as she pointed to her phone screen.

Her words made my face furrow. How in the hell was this any of that girls business? "Why?"

"Because this just effected her too."

I shook my head in disbelief but caught myself before I let my temper slip with my youngest child. Deciding that we had bigger bridges to cross, I looked back at my oldest and pointed. "Call her. Get her on the phone. Because shit needs to be addressed and apparently this shit is bigger than I know, so by all means call everyone you've been hiding this from."

Anita looked down in guilt before nodding again softly and finally FaceTiming Alana. I was as understanding as I could be with my children, at all times... but today, was just not acceptable in any way to me. It was no reason for there to be a bullet in my house wall and for Madison to be hiding in pickup trucks six houses down from a suicide scene. This shit just couldn't be real life.

When Alana answered the phone, she immediately began asking questions. "What is going on? What do you mean Madison got shot at? Why would you text something like that and not call? I've been calling Madi's phone for hours. Why is no one answering their phones? Where is she? Is she okay?"

I ended her chance of getting answers quickly. "Uh uh, we can save the Q and A's for the ending. Start from the beginning. I need some answers now. Somebody needs to get to talking."

My eldest daughter sat the phone down on the coffee table and cleared her throat. "Okay, this is a long story and I'm going to explain it all. I know that everyone will feel strongly about this and I understand that I fucked this up. I get that fully. I know that. But the beginning of this would start when Third and I met in the tenth grade. We'd been dating and then everyone knows his father got shot after his basketball game."

She glanced around the room and everyone except Madison nodded, for majority had already known that. Once again, she nodded before continuing. "Okay, what I didn't mention was that his father was a dealer. A big time one. He umm.. he ran with his best friend named Big D but something happened between them and it ended up being Big D that killed him. So in the tenth grade is when Third did his first deal. It was at school. It was something small. He just wanted to be able to buy us movie tickets. He told me it was a one time thing and I.. I didn't believe him.. but I didn't know how to say anything and he was hurting how he was."