43

Janet

I sat in my office with my makeup done to a T. It had to be because Alana had left so many hickeys on my neck that it was ridiculous. The files on my desk where lessening as I went through each paper to see if it was worth disciplinary review or not. I was trying to multi task because I also had to do walk throughs today and everyone knew that was Hell in itself. Honestly, I couldn't care any less about this stuff right now.

A knock at my door caused me to call out. "Come in!" Virginia walked in with a goofy smile on her face and I asked. "What?"

"I'm a little nervous but I'm happy but I need your help."

"My help with what?"

"So I met this woman while I was in the grocery store. She accidentally ran into my basket because she was texting and we just hit it off from there. I really like her."

"Really?" I acted like this was fresh news to my ears as I smiled. "Good for you."

"Her names Kendra. She's a chef over at Tonio's."

"The Italian restaurant you like? That's cool."

She sat down excitedly. "Jan, like she's different. She's a breath of fresh air for me. She likes the same music that I do. We vibe together. We went on one date to like a coffee spot last Friday. I really really like her."

Nodding, I knew exactly the type of air she'd been describing. "That's great V... but you never said what you needed my help with."

"Oh yes. So." She pulled out her phone and handed it to me after hitting a few things.

My eyes ran over the screen and I saw it was their text messages. Kendra had asked Virginia on a date. I replied simply with, "It's a date invitation."

"Yes. A date. An actual date. Which I haven't been on in almost a year."

"You'll be fine." I assured her as I handed her the phone back.

"No I won't but I'll make due. I just need your help with an outfit. I'm going to send you pictures of outfit choices, help me pick one. Cool?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I don't see why not. It's just a movie and dinner date Virginia. I'm sure you're overthinking this."

"Overthinking? No. I'm worrying. I've gotta get my shit together before Saturday." Just as she'd entered, she got ready to leave as she bid her farewell. "That's all I came to ask though. I'll text you Saturday. Don't ghost me."

"I'll reply." I called back as I looked back at my computer screen.

"Oh, wait. You going to the meet Friday? It's going to be at our stadium."

"More than likely, I'll be there."

She paused and called out. "Jackson?" We met eye contact and she mumbled lowly. "Thank you. You don't have to help me. Or talk to me but you do. I appreciate it. You're one of my only friends."

"It's no problem." I gritted my teeth softly afterwards.

Don't make this weird Virginia. I'm begging you.

"Yeah but I still need to thank you. I'll catch you later though, I got gym."

I made a face because I didn't even put together that she'd left that damn gym class unattended which never went well. She left and I turned back to doing my work. My eyes rolled when I saw the pages I needed to get through before I started my walk ins. I put my head in my hands, pushing my glasses to the top as I closed my eyes for a moment.