eleven

It's saturday, Charlie is out with some girl, she swore it wasn't a date but I'm not stupid. She was trying to hide it but she had the biggest smile on her face when she told me.

Nola has been asking all day for ice cream so we're going to an ice cream place that's close by.

"Nola, are you okay? Do you need help Princess?" 

"No mommy! I want to pick my own outfit." 

I giggle. These last few days she doesn't let me pick her clothes anymore. Something about her having a 'better style' than me. Why did no one tell me how sassy five year olds are?

She walks out in a pink tutu under a black hoodie with bright blue leggings and black shoes. 

"You ready Princess?" As long as she wears something she feels comfortable in, I'm fine with it. I just threw on one of Mason's printed t-shirts, some baggy jeans, a zip up hoodie and some shoes.

"C'mon Princess." I grab my bag from the coat rack and check for my wallet and keys. 

"Let's go, let's go, let's gooo!" 

I smile and lock the door behind us. Charlie also has a key, it comes in handy since she lives with us. Charlie has a very complicated -almost non-existing- relationship with her parents. I won't go into it too much but, trust me, be glad they aren't yours.

Ah, there is the elevator. The doors open. And Mason's in it. "MASEY!" Nola runs into the elevator and into Masons' open arms. 

"Hey Princess, where are you two going?" He keeps Nola in his arms as she tells him that we are going to get ice cream. "Ice cream huh? Can I join?" 

"Yes! Oh, mommy? Can Masey join?" 

I smile. "Of course can Masey join." I bump my shoulder into his when I say Masey. Well, more like his elbow. Even though I'm not that small, 5"7, he towers over me with his 6"5.

He looks down at me, smiling his pearly whites bare. "Did you came here with your car?" 

He scrunches his eyebrows. "Why?"

~

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Can you stop guys?" Nola whines. "I wanna get ice cream."

"Fine." 

"Yes!" I cheer and enter the car on the drivers side. 

"No I didn't say that to you-" Mason grunts. "You know what, never mind."

He puts Nola in her booster seat and closes the back door before getting in himself. 

"Thank you for letting me drive you car, Masey." 

He grunts something back to me. I laugh and skillfully drive the car to the ice cream shop next to the park.

RIVER

I park my car and walk towards my friends after locking it.

"I swear, it's not that hard. You just have to steal the janitors keys and- Oh, hey River." Wade is the first to notice me. Vincent, his girlfriend, Caleb and Veronica look up at me. There is another girl busy on her phone. Probably a friend of Amelia.

We talk awhile before everyone besides me, Ver and the girl on her phone go to the skate ring. She never let it down, once. Weird girl.

"Hey, isn't that the new girl you were staring at the other day?" I whip my head in the direction Veronica is looking at. She is stepping out of a black Jeep Wrangler. She is laughing about something.