seven

"Hey girly!"

There is only one person in the whole world that calls me that.

"Babe! Omg! I haven't heard from you in soo long! I fucking missed you!" 

CC giggles. "I have so much to tell you, I can't." 

I smile, already forgetting that the boys are here. "Me too! Where are you?" 

"Don't worry about that." 

I frown. "What do you me-" 

"Anyway.. how was the move? And omg how's Nola? I miss the little bean."

Why won't she tell me where she is? I hope she's okay. "The move was fine. And Nola's great! She grew since you last saw her. And she misses you too!" The bell rings but me and the boys don't move. 

"What was that? Are you at school right now?" 

"Yup, unfortunately." 

"Noelle Luna Jackson! School is good for you! You need a good education so you can get into a good college and have a job that pays you well!" For a couple moment we are dead silent. Then we both burst into laughter.

"Shut up! You care less about school than me!" 

She giggles. "That's true. But you should get to your class anyway. You have to pick up Nola right? Can't do that if you have detention."

"Fuck, you're right. I have to go. Love you and maybe we can FaceTime later." 

"Love you too! And we definitely will! See ya girly!" 

"Bye babe!"

I turn my phone off. 

"I'm going to class." 

I speed-walk away from the boys. I hope I can pull the I'm-new-and-I-didn't-know-the-way card. That is definitely a plus about moving schools. You can use that excuse for about a week long after you came to the school. Depends on how strict the teachers are.

~

The trick worked. The teacher was a little reluctant but let me in anyway. I'm now in my car on the way to pick Nola up and I haven't seen any of the boys since lunch. I don't know how to feel about them to be honest. I think I would like them as friends -if Blue Eyes wasn't so grumpy all the time- but I can't get too close to them.

For the first time I actually feel somewhat sad about that fact. Every time someone tried to make friends with me I had to push them away from me. This time is gonna be different. The other times I had to leave after a few months but we're gonna stay here for a while. I'll probably still keep them at arm's length but that's just because I don't trust people easily. I have been let down a few to many times for that.

I arrive at Nola's kindergarten and see a few kids playing on the playground and parents and teachers watching them. The kindergarten is in the same building as an elementary school so there are some older kids there. I step out of the car and lock the doors. I learned my way around here pretty quickly so I know where to go. I walk into the building and greet the lady behind the desk before I walk to Nola's classroom, dodging a few kids here and there.

The door is open and I see a few parents talking to their kids and a few to the teacher.

"Mommyyy!" 

I smile at the 5 year old that is suddenly attached to my leg. "Hey baby. Did you have a nice day?" 

She lets go and looks up to me, also smiling. "It was really fun! I made a drawing, wanna see?" She grabs my pinky, drags me to a table and sits me down on a small chair. 

"Wow, that's so pretty!" 

"Look it's you and Masey and CC and me." 

"It's so pretty Princess!" 

"Can we take it home mommy? I wanna put it on the fridge." 

I smile at her. "It would look perfect on the fridge. But maybe you should ask Ms Angel if you can take it home first." 

Nola runs to her teacher. 

I can feel some judgemental stares of some of the parents here. Fuck what they think. I can't let them decide how I feel about myself.

Nola comes back, running again. Sometimes I wonder where she gets all this energy from. "Ms Angel said we could." 

"Great. That way we can show Mason when he comes over." 

Her face lights up. "Masey's coming over?" 

I chuckle. "Yes, Princess. But we have to go home now so we can be there earlier than him."

"Okay, let's go." She grabs her drawing and runs to the door. 

I laugh, stand up and grab her lunchbox. Nola looks at me. "Come on. We can't be late." 

"Did you say bye to Ms Angel?" 

"Yes, mommy." 

"Good, let's go then." We walk to the car and Nola won't stop talking about how excited she is.

~

I park my car in the car park near our apartment building and help Nola out of her booster seat.

We walk towards the entrance when I feel a familiar presence. I smile. 

"Do you think Masey will play dolls with me mommy?"

"I don't know Princess, will I?" Mason steps out of the shadows. 

Nola's face lights up. "Maseyyy!" She lets go of my hand and runs up to him. Mason catches her and swings her around.

"What? No hug for me?" 

He smiles and opens his left arm while holding Nola in his right one. I smile back and close my arms around him and Nola.

"I missed you." He whispers in my hair and kisses my head. 

"I missed you too." Most of the other times we moved we didn't live very close to Mason so we didn't saw him as much as we'd like. Before here we lived the furthest away ever. 

I hold him a little tighter before letting go. "Should we go up guys?" And with that we all walk into the building, saying hi to Anna when we pass her. 

"Masey, I made a drawing of you and CC and mommy. Mommy said we can put it on the fridge. And I made a friend Masey. Her name is July and she has very pretty hair."

While Nola keeps talking about school we enter the elevator and later our apartment.