thirty

I watch Julia storm away, while I'm still a little in shock.

"Thank you so much for being a dick to her. Really helped brighten her day."

I glare at Charlie for the sarcastic remark.

"Oh, you don't get to look at me like that mister. This is your doing, fix it."

I give everyone a weary look and they all look at me expectantly. I sigh and start my pursuit, she better not have gotten far.

~

I walk around for a bit. How is this girl so fast? I can't find her anywhere.

Maybe she just stayed at school? Nevermind, who would stay at school when they want to be alone?

Someone who would think that that's the last place anyone'll look.

I almost turn around to go back to school when I see her walk out of a little flower shop with a bouquet of flowers in her hands. Huh?

The look on her face is so devastated that it immediately dampens my mood. What is going on with her today?

I notice her straighten up, almost as if she just now realises that she's in public and her face turns emotionless.

Her pace however, doesn't falter and I start to follow her at a distance. Where's she going?

I follow her for a while before she turn a corner and I lose her. Shit. I walk a bit faster and round the corner a little after she did. I look around. Where did she go?

I can't see her walking anywhere and she can't just disappear into thin air so where is she? She could've gone into a house or shop or something, only if there were any around here.

There's a big hedge with a large metal gate. It had a with plants overgrown angel statue on each side. The gate is open, maybe she went in there? I squint my eyes to try and read what the little plate on the gate says.

Angelwatch Sematary?

She went into a sematary? Fuck, is she going to a funeral?

Without even thinking about it, my feet walk towards the sematary. Once inside I am shocked by how beautiful it is. It has flowers and trees everywhere and I think I see a little pond with ducks in the distance.

My eyes have to look around a few times before finally finding Julia. It is a big sematary and Julia is crouched next to a headstone.

I silently walk a little closer and eventually I'm close enough to hear her talk.

".. but you would've liked that, I'm sure." Her chuckle sounds sad.

"Everything else is fine. School is okay I guess. Nola is doing great! She made a friend at school and I found out that she turned out to be the daughter of one of my teachers. We were both very shocked when we found out." She lets out a sigh.

"And I miss you. I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while. You know how living on the run is."

She moves the flowers a bit and for the first time I'm reading the engravings.

Valerie Rose Jackson
1980 - 2019
Beloved Mother And Wife

"and here you are living
despite it all"

"It's kind of ironic don't you think? 'And here you are living..'" Julia doesn't look at me but I can feel that she's talking to me.